McMurray Blue Andalusian chicks dying?!? Bad batch??

I have one baby Blue and she isn't doing as well as my other chicks. They are all a week old tomorrow and have doubled in size except for her. Are blues generally smaller babies? She's getting her feathers in at nearly the same rate, but isn't getting bigger.

Last edited:
I have one baby Blue and she isn't doing as well as my other chicks. They are all a week old tomorrow and have doubled in size except for her. Are blues generally smaller babies? She's getting her feathers in at nearly the same rate, but isn't getting bigger.
This happened to a few of ours from MM. Most of our smaller ones died unexpectedly. This is the first time that I have seen this happen. It is also my first experience with hatchery birds. Andalusians are smaller than your meat or dual purpose breeds, but should grow right along with the others.

This is my first experience with chickens and I am already so attached. We have 12 total,I've thought about separating her and another runty gold one, I just don't have a second heat lamp or brooder yet. She's eating and active like the other birds, she's just so small.

Last edited:
This is my first experience with chickens and I am already so attached. We have 12 total,I've thought about separating her and another runty gold one, I just don't have a second heat lamp or brooder yet. She's eating and active like the other birds, she's just so small.
I have faith that they will be fine and grow to be gorgeous. I have a few that are still runts and made it out into the coop. As long as their behavior is normal, I am convinced that they are going to make it.

Back
Top Bottom