McMurray Chicks - what is your experience with their sexing?

RaeRae2

Songster
8 Years
Nov 28, 2011
I am curious to know the experiences others have had with McMurray's sexing. I received 26 chicks that are all supposed to be pullets. 11 of them are going to my friend next week. She doesn't care about her 11 too much because she wants to butcher them anyway. Mine will be for pets. So far they all do seem to look like pullets to me, but I am inexperienced. So far nobody is really standing out with a big red comb or anything. They are going on 6 weeks old.

What do you think my chances are that all 15 of my chicks are pullets?

I got these breeds:

Light Brahma
Dark Brahma
Dark Cornish
Silver Hamburg
Ancona
EE

Thanks!
caf.gif

I haven't ordered from them before but have ordered from MPC and chickens for backyards a few time and have only gotten one roo. I find that they have a pretty good rate for sexing.

I have ordered from Mcmurray before and on an all pullet order of 50 chicks I got one roo. On another order of 25 pullets I also got one roo. But i'd say if yours are 6 weeks old you should be able to tell for sure. I have some Welsummers chicks about that same age and I have no problem telling which are the 3 roos that I ordered are. They only guarantee 90% sexing, but they usually get it pretty good in my experience with them.

They did perfect for me. I ordered 50 hens and 4 roosters and I got 4 roosters and 54 hens, all lived. They are great to do business with.

Great, thanks everyone! Sounds like I stand a good chance at having pretty much what I ordered.
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom