McMurray order of Red Stars and Whiting True Blues

They are beautiful! Did you find out which is the rare?

I'm assuming the grey one is. I'm trying to figure out if he's Blue Andalusian or Whiting True Blue. I'm kinda thinking he's going to be aggressive. Beautiful or not if he's mean when he gets older we are eating him.

They both have that type of comb. Which is surprising because McMurray catalog says single comb.

The picture of them on Mcmurray site suggests peacomb. Either way, I bought 50 of these Whitings, and received several blue ones that are definitely pullets. Also, they had sent an extra besides the exotic one. The extra one on one order was a male Whiting, and on the other order was a straight run Whiting.

I suspect your blue one is a male Whiting. I hope they are nice, because I probably have quite a few males.

Wish I knew about the sexing by feathering sooner since my 2nd order was 8 pullets and 17 straight run. I forgot to ask them to mark my girls, so I got a box of 25 (actual total 27 including exotic) and don't know what's what. Ah!

On another note, I bought some SBEL off MPC and I'm concerned that the cockerels might be mean. If so, and I cannot correct their attitude, they will be sold or eaten. Would like to keep one, though, as I started a "blue egg layer" coop. Will have SBEL, Araucana, Lavender and B/B/S Ameraucana, and Whiting True Blues. My hope is to have a Roo of each breed except the Araucana. I'm spoiled with my Bielefelder roos. I can add Biel roos with some pullets to my existing flock and there's no blood shed. That breed has awesome characteristics, I think, and BIG eggs. I'm going on and on. Forgive me ~

The picture of them on Mcmurray site suggests peacomb. Either way, I bought 50 of these Whitings, and received several blue ones that are definitely pullets. Also, they had sent an extra besides the exotic one. The extra one on one order was a male Whiting, and on the other order was a straight run Whiting.

I suspect your blue one is a male Whiting. I hope they are nice, because I probably have quite a few males.

Wish I knew about the sexing by feathering sooner since my 2nd order was 8 pullets and 17 straight run. I forgot to ask them to mark my girls, so I got a box of 25 (actual total 27 including exotic) and don't know what's what. Ah!

On another note, I bought some SBEL off MPC and I'm concerned that the cockerels might be mean. If so, and I cannot correct their attitude, they will be sold or eaten. Would like to keep one, though, as I started a "blue egg layer" coop. Will have SBEL, Araucana, Lavender and B/B/S Ameraucana, and Whiting True Blues. My hope is to have a Roo of each breed except the Araucana. I'm spoiled with my Bielefelder roos. I can add Biel roos with some pullets to my existing flock and there's no blood shed. That breed has awesome characteristics, I think, and BIG eggs. I'm going on and on. Forgive me ~
Great info. I wish I had ordered more of the Whitings, but at the time I din't think we would have so much room for chickens.

Please forgive me for asking what does SBEL stand for?

Great info. I wish I had ordered more of the Whitings, but at the time I din't think we would have so much room for chickens.

Please forgive me for asking what does SBEL stand for?
No need to apologize. SBEL stands for Super Blue Egg Layer. They're being sold on My Pet Chicken. They are supposed to be prolific layers of large blue eggs.

No need to apologize. SBEL stands for Super Blue Egg Layer. They're being sold on My Pet Chicken. They are supposed to be prolific layers of large blue eggs.

Oh Gotcha!! I did see those on MPC. Sounds like you have a beautiful egg basket in the works. I can't wait until mine start laying.

Yes, I HOPE to have a colorful basket! Had to put my SBEL's out a little prematurely. It "feels like 20" here according to weather news, and they have no heat in their totally enclosed coop. There's a total of 13 chicks (not all SBEL's) in the coop. Half are 4 weeks old and the other half are 3 weeks old. Don't have an ideal place to put them back inside house as I think the ones inside are only 2 weeks old. The outside ones seem significantly larger and I don't want anyone getting squished. I did put a big juice bottle filled with hot water right in their "den" area. They huddle, they go out around in the coop and wander, most of them puffed. Have some SLO's in there too, but I'm thinking of putting them all in the tub for a day LOL. Supposed to get down to 17 tomorrow night!! Eeeks

Back
Top Bottom