Mcmurrays special assorted bargain? Worth getting

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Koontzy, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Koontzy

Koontzy New Egg

Aug 8, 2010
    Is it anygood?

i dont want to order 25 and get alot of roo's, would like to know if it is a good deal? I grew up with chickens but havent owned any for about 10 years, and cant wait to get started again. The deal is cheap, but I do not want to get screwed.[​IMG]

2. TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    We will find out, I just ordered one as my first too!

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Gonna go nuts trying to figure out what you got when they come in, because they don't send a list. [​IMG] But it sure is fun!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  4. austinandkara

austinandkara Out Of The Brooder

The only downside is you don't know exactly what breeds you have until they get older and their adult plumage comes in. I have ordered the assorted before and I got a good mix of hens and roosters. Other than that I've always been pleased with McMurray Hatchery. I almost always order my chickens from them and the chicks always arrive strong and healthy.

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I personally will never order from Murry McMurry Hatchery Ever again!
    I order 100 Bantams a few years back and, 7 were dead when I got them. 20 more died with in the week. And tons of the had problems such as crossed beaks, etc. Plus their prices are not cheap! Never ordering from them again! [​IMG]

6. deannd

deannd Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Marin County, California
    I have had luck with McMurray but I always order all pullets. Their sexing ratio has been close to 98% accurate. They say you can expect up to 5% mortality rate in the box, my experience has been more like 2%.

My brother ordered the rarest of the rare SR collection (50) and got 30+ roos. He got several roos with no matching breed hens. When buying straight run you may end up with a great % of roos which in my book makes the collection much more expensive then it is worth - especially when you figure in the cost of feeding the roos until you figure out what you have.

Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by