1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

McMurry's ALL pullets? Can it be true?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bea Love, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Bea Love

Bea Love Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Wanted to know peoples experience with McMurry's ALL pullets?
    Has anyone ended up with roo's? If so how many?

2. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

hello,
    my order was for all pulletts , i rec'd on may 6

100 jumbo cornish pulletts , rec'd 4 xx pullet chicks

25 brown egg layer pulletts and rec'd an extra ( did not say what kind )
    also rec'd a "free " rare chick (did not say whjat kind)]\\

so far they all the jumbos are looking pulletish , no roos yet .

the brown eggers have me all befudled , as these are my first chicks, i am not even sure what KIND they are , much less what sex!!!!LOL

3. jessica117

jessica117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    I haven't ordered from McMuarry, but I'm sure if you look at the fine print they only guarantee a percentage to be pullets. I've always dealt with Ideal and they guarantee 80% on their sexing. I've always had them be 100% correct but *knock on wood* I'm usually pretty lucky like that.

Jess

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Meyer offers 90% correct on sexed birds I believe.

But, it's not like if you get some roos they will self destruct LOL. They just refund you the money for the ones that were roos instead of girls.

I ordered 7 vent sexed breeds from Meyer last fall and got 8, and all were girls. [​IMG]

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I've had pretty good luck, got 3 roos out of an order of 51 but I did order the free rare one which is almost always a roo. So not bad. I did hear though that if you order a straight run, you'll get mostly roos. But that's what I've heard.

The first time I ordered, I think I got 1 roo out of 51 probably the free one.

6. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    my first chickens I ordered years ago... mcmurray, was 25 roosters, got 30, (they all add extra for warmth) we ended up with 2 hens. my henrietta I still have, this was 4 years ago.
    she is still laying. she is buff orfington, and the other was a black austrolorph

7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    MMH offers 90% accuracy too. I think they all do now.

8. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    I've not gotten mm pullets. Last year I got all heavies from mm. They were a good, healthy bunch. I got my pullets and cc's from Meyer this year. The price is better, and they are closer to me. I ordered 25 straight run cc's and was sent 26-- 1 was a roo. I ordered 25 pullets, was sent 26, and 1 Delaware seems like it's gonna be a roo. I also ordered from them a couple weeks ago 15 turkeys (surplus bb's). I have no idea the gender. I ordered 15, was sent 16, and 2 died. They credited the $ for the 1 poult no problem. All the chicks have been healthy, and no chick deaths.

9. rodandbrandy

rodandbrandy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    I ordered 25 brown egg layers from MM last year plus I got the "extra" chick, all are girls except fpr 1 roo, all made it and are now giving me large brown eggs everyday plus we have a very happy rooster!!

10. Morgaine

Morgaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    I ordered and recieved 25 of the brown layers and 1 free chick(a polish one that is actually a pullet). I have one light brahma that is definately a roo and 3 others I'm keeping my eye on, a Buff Orp and two silver laced Wyandots. My brahma, Phoebe(was named before we knew he was he and the name just stuck) is the only one though that I have no doubt about. I still new to all this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by