Me again! More pics of my hens problem.

Amz87

Chirping
Mar 9, 2018
Sydney Australia
C182E7F7-E2D6-4E34-AD34-F79F5F5C1CBD.jpeg
Hello,
I just want to say thanks to all that have helped me so far.
I’ve been treating my hen for a wound for a few days now but I feel like I’m at a loss because she keeps pecking herself! So in the beginning I thought she might have been pecked by my other chickens (as I caught one in the act pecking into her open wound) but now after observing her since Thursday, she is pecking herself. So I’m presuming it’s irritated/itchy? There’s a fresh new spot that she’s pecked open every day. Here’s today’s pics.
I’ve dusted her for mites
832BE824-BB25-48D6-ABE6-71D6B06CF990.jpeg
832BE824-BB25-48D6-ABE6-71D6B06CF990.jpeg
E2A8BF0A-8DA0-494B-BAE1-FAB9F324EF08.jpeg
4A25782F-962D-4B94-B7B3-9EBAD05FA7B5.jpeg
today is that all I can do for her?

Have you seen any mites on her? It could be the wound is itchy or pulling (drying). Would it be possible to cover it, kids t shirt or tank top? One of those "aprons" they put on hen's to protect their backs from Roos mating?

Have you seen any mites on her? It could be the wound is itchy or pulling (drying). Would it be possible to cover it, kids t shirt or tank top? One of those "aprons" they put on hen's to protect their backs from Roos mating?

I checked her over for mites and I can’t see anything. Her skin is nice and clean every where else. She has scaly leg mites which I’m treating her for. Could be the sore is itchy, I feel like as soon as we are making progress she’s ripping a new hole in her skin :( I think I will try get her an apron for her and see if it helps to stop pecking at it. Thank you.
(Edit)
I’ve just ordered her an apron, hopefully it arrives soon.

Last edited:
That looks a little like a tumor, especially in the first picture. The other pics looks more like a wound. Feather cyst abscesses can occur as well. I would recommend soaking her in a warm bath in a dishpan, and use Epsom salts, weak betadine, Hibiclens, or Dawn soap in the water. Take a wash cloth and gently rub the scab a little after she has soaked for 10 minutes, then rinse her in clean water. After she has dried, take a new picture, and put some plain neosporin ointment on it twice a day. Make sure there are no maggots in the wound that may cause fly strike. Perhaps repeat the bath the next day if it improves things. That may help with the itching. If she still scratches it, I would get some cream with menthol in it, such as BenGay or others. You can make a temporary hen apron out of a one piece stretchy fabric such as polar fleece:

That looks a little like a tumor, especially in the first picture. The other pics looks more like a wound. Feather cyst abscesses can occur as well. I would recommend soaking her in a warm bath in a dishpan, and use Epsom salts, weak betadine, Hibiclens, or Dawn soap in the water. Take a wash cloth and gently rub the scab a little after she has soaked for 10 minutes, then rinse her in clean water. After she has dried, take a new picture, and put some plain neosporin ointment on it twice a day. Make sure there are no maggots in the wound that may cause fly strike. Perhaps repeat the bath the next day if it improves things. That may help with the itching. If she still scratches it, I would get some cream with menthol in it, such as BenGay or others. You can make a temporary hen apron out of a one piece stretchy fabric such as polar fleece:

Thank you so much. I definitely think it’s very odd because it’s a very hard lump. When I very 1st inspected the open part of the wound, there already was a lot of the hard brown scabby part with feather holes where she had plucked the feathers out. It doesn’t seem right to me, she also is the only one out of my 4 hens that isn’t laying yet (they are all the same age and her sister started laying on the 4th of June) she comb is small and pale and has always been that way. I’m wondering if maybe she’s actually sick and not just a wound?
I will get some Epsom salts and soak her, I need it away way to soak her legs for scaly leg mites. And I’ll see what I can make for for her temporarily while I wait for her saddle to arrive in the mail. Hubby wants to put her down but she’s otherwise happy and she’s eating and drinking so while she has quality of life I’m not happy to be so hasty with that sort of decision.

I tend to agree with you, that since she is eating and drinking, and able to get around, I would not yet put her down. It would be good to see what has actually caused that lesin, whether it is a wound, an abscess, or a tumor. You might want to do some Googling and look for images of chicken tumors, fly strike, feather cysts, and wounds. BYC has tons of threads with pictures that you can also look for. Keep us up to date on how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom