Me..confused :)

chickenlickin'

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 16, 2008
I live in nova scotia and was wondering if it is ok to put the chicks in a insulated coop that has a brooder in it...when they arrive.. i know sounds stupid but everyone seems to have them in their homes before puting them into the coop..?
hmm.png
I would prefer to put them directly into the brooder in the coop but of course want to make sure it is ok for the little ones... any and all advice would be so appreciated..
D.gif

Just dropping in to say hi- just up the road from you near Greenwood NS
smile.png

Wish I could answer your question, but I keep mine in the porch....

It doesn't matter where you put them but it does matter that they are in a warm, draft free, safe environment. Chicks need to start their life with a week of 95 degree temperatures, you then lower the temp by five degrees each week until they have feathered out or the outside temperatures are holding about 70. So, if you have a safe way of using a heat lamp out in your coop then you can put them directly out there.

I will say that the most fun with chicks is having them in the living room where you can walk over and see them constantly. It's much easier to pick them up or have them sit on your lap that way too!
wink.png

Where I grew up we had a brooder house next to the chicken house, where all the chicks lived until they got big enough. I don't think it was insulated, but it had a several heat lights in the middle for them to get under. I agree with Jenski - if they're in a non-drafty area where you can keep the temperature steady around the clock, I don't know why that wouldn't work. I think people keep them in the house because it's so much easier to keep an eye on them and to control the temp inside where the ambient atmosphere doesn't vary as much as it does in an outdoor enclosure.

I keep my bators in my parents basement with a brooder however my laying chicks are kept out in a buliding with light son thelm. as long as you can keep the temp up you should be fine heat light works well with room fro thelm together around and room to move if it is to hot on thelm.

I have brooded two batches in the house, but won't do it again, if only because of having to breathe the dust. If you research raising chicks on the web, it is easy to find recommendations against it, as there is some threat to our health involved. If you prefer to have them outside, and can manage temps as has been posted here, it certainly can be done safely.

To each his own, of course. Like so many chicken issues, there is probably no right/wrong.

The hatchery websites usually have basic chicken raising instructions -- too lazy to hunt it down for you!

Shipping can be hard on them and it's good to keep a closer eye on them the first few days, in case they have any problems and need extra care. Other than that, as long as you're providing the right conditions, it doesn't matter where you brood them.

When brooding them in an area where the ambient temperature is severely cold, using two heat lamps, instead of one, gives added protection in case one of the lamps goes out.

Thanks to you all! I really appreciate all the replies! Think i will keep them in the coop and visit them every other second maybe i will just move my bed out there
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom