Me, My Chickens, My Family: (pic heavy)

Quote:
Betty has a lot of green when the sunlight hits her. She is so soft and smooth, she feels like silk. This photo is probably the best I have of her green sheen. You're right, it doesn't show in photos well at all. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3118/2868092528_29c6d32ba2.jpg?v=0

Betty's eyes aren't as dark as they were when she was younger. They used to look black but now they're brown.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3071/2867259245_e8497cf3f1.jpg?v=0

Wow she has really big brown parts of her eye, my girl has a very narrow band of brown - but it looks like the same color of eye.

My giant is very soft too - she is by far the softest of all of my chickens.

We have to take into account that she was standing in the sunlight so her pupils were somewhat constricted.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful pictures.. my favorite is with all the heads sticking through the fence...
lol.png

You'll know for sure on the Welsummer vs. Leghorn when they start to lay. Welsummers give that gorgeous deep, almost red clay color egg.

I see you have a round, metal rod for them to roost on. I'd suggest you change that to a 2x4 using the 4" side up for them to sit on or at least give them something flat and not slippery to use.

Edited to add: A special welcome to a fellow Coloradoan!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Ya, eggs for sure will tell, but after looking into it some more I think I agree that they are leghorns, they look much more mature than my other birds and also seem smaller than the others. Both of those feel like they fit with what I am learning about leghorns.

I was planning to change the rod out, I just grabbed it because it was handy and all I had to do was stick it into the wire mesh. I was worried about them roosting on it during the winter since steel has such a large thermal mass their little feet might get frostbitten trying to roost on it.

interestingly enough they do not roost on it at night, they all pile into the "coop" part and huddle up, they are really into each other, and don't take separation well at all, they become highly agitated when they can't be around the others

Got some more pictures today.......the "Leghorns" seem much more mature, and her comb is getting big and red! Does that mean she might start laying soon!?!?!!!!1!!one!!

chicks90.jpg

Look at that Green Sheen!
chicks91.jpg

Big comb and wattles compared to my others.........its big enough now that you can see it wiggle and jiggle when she moves her head!
chicks92.jpg

chicks93.jpg

chicks94.jpg

chicks95.jpg

chicks96.jpg

chicks97.jpg

chicks98.jpg

chicks99.jpg

chicks100.jpg

chicks101.jpg

chicks102.jpg

chicks103.jpg

chicks104.jpg

chicks105.jpg

chicks106.jpg

So are any of you colorado people here in fort collins? I know there are at least 4 other chicken owners out there from the number of Chicken permits that have been sold............

Quote:
Beautiful chickens!!! Those are definitely Danish Brown Leghorns....see the white patches on either side of their faces, you're gonna have white eggs!

Very pretty girls. I loved your story about them too. So sorry you lost one of them.
sad.png

Perhaps you can sling some chicken wire over the top of their pen and wire it on so they don't get tempted to fly over to the greener grass.
smile.png

Welcome to BYC !

Quote:
thanks, and while that wasn't what I was expecting(since I though I had those figured out so long ago) I'm happy enough, it looks like the leghorns start laying sooner, which is going to make me happy!

Quote:
Thanks, I think I will have to try something, I've never seen the flighty girl get out, but I will need to do something to make it harder for them to fly out.

Oh and they just got a banana, and popcorn.......plus they have a bunch of apples off my tree down in the pen with them, fresh fruit diet! (and popcorn)

Back
Top Bottom