Me or the Eggs??

crazy chook

Songster
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
Langwarrin, Victoria
I have a home made incubator and my last hatch was very successful with 13 out of 16 hatching. My incubator is home made but keeps good temp, has a fan and i manual turn. humidity is at 40-45 then 65 for lockdown (seems to work well for me).

This time i purchased 12 wyandotte eggs that were shipped to me and 13 x breed bantams that I picked up. The x breed bantam eggs were fridge cold and upside down when i got them which I was not very happy with.
I let them settle for about 15-20hours before I set them.

Day 5, I took some out that looked completely clear. Day 15 I took a further 7 eggs out. I put the 7 eggs into separate freezer bags and cracked each one open. None of them look like they had developed at all.
It just looked like a normal egg??yolk & white??
hu.gif

Does this mean that they may not have been fertile? Is there something else that it could be? O only have 10 eggs left with two not looking very promising.
idunno.gif

I just did not expect to only hatch less than half of them
hit.gif

Shipped eggs always have a fairly low hatch rate (like 50% is actually a pretty good hatch rate for shipped eggs). The best way to check for fertiliy vs infertility is to look for the white dot. Here is a link to two pictures:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

Sometimes shipping causes irreparable damage to an egg that would have otherwise been fertile, and in these cases the egg will not even begin to develop and will look like an infertile egg when candled. The only way to tell is to look for the bulls-eye.

As for the ones you picked up... well, upside down and really cold is never a good way to start the hatch... it's possible the cold made otherwise fertile eggs not viable any more.

Back
Top Bottom