Me thinks there are cockrels among my pullets - what do you think?

Kelly G

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Tampa (Wesley Chapel), Florida
My Coop
My Coop
Well...last week I post that one of my RIR was suspiciously behaving like a roo...the jury's still out on that one.

Now, it seems that two of my three Ameracaunas might be cockrels/roos. I took a bunch of pictures this morning...here are a few.

Possible hen imposter #1
July42009006.jpg

July42009009.jpg

July42009004.jpg

...and do I see irridescent feathers???!!!
July42009016.jpg

Possible imposter #2:
July42009030.jpg

July42009032.jpg

July42009039.jpg

I haven't heard a single crow - or any attempt at crowing from either of these two birds. These are 2wks younger than my other birds - I purchased them together, and they will be 18 weeks old on Monday. Wouldn't I have heard a crow by now? Someone is there 24 hours a day...so certainly one of us would have heard it.

What do you guys see? Rooster dinner?

It would be really nice if you guys were right! I really do not want a rooster at all...I run a riding academy for children, and the last thing I need is a mean roo!

When do cockrels typically start crowing? I've read here about how young many have started...but what's the late side of norm?

If you had a Roo in that Easter Egger bunch you would be waking up Early already. These are all pullets and VERY lovely Ladies you have!

Easter Eggers are so mixed you can't go by Hackle/Saddle feathers because even the girls will sometimes have pointed feathers!

The combs are a small size, not wide and not too red so that is good indication that you have all girls!

Enjoy!
wink.png

Yes, they look like all girls. I notice that many EE's have the pointy hackle feathers but I don't see any pointy saddle feathers in your group. Enjoy your girls.

I think they are girls as well. Like others have said, EEs can be hard to determine based on the look of feathers alone. If they were roos, by that age I think they would have definite sickle/hackle feathers, and they would have much more pronounced combs.

Back
Top Bottom