Me

Welcome from New Orleans, I know there are fancy coops on the coop site, but the chickens don't care what the coop looks like, they will want a safe place to roost at night, as rjohns 39 said. Feel free to ask questions, most people are very knowledgeble and non judgemental. We used re purposed fencing and scrapes from neighborhood building projects. Some have used pallets for the wood. Good luck with your two girls. (I think they are rhode island reds as well) :frow

G’Day from down under Sue :frow Welcome!

Thelma & Louise are adorable! We keep the girls' meal worms in a blue ice cream container .. I swear if anyone walks into our yard with a blue ice cream container and back out again, 5 little bantams will be trailing along behind them ;)

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Personally, I have found the Topic of the Week articles a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group.

Hi Sue! Welcome to BYC!! It's so nice to have you join us! welcome.gif

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask one of us.

Sue, welcome. I suggest that you find a used coop for T & L. Be sure you clean it thoroughly and even dust it for mites before putting it into use. Everyone likes chicken, and sooner or later, your little wanderers are going to attract the wrong kind of attention. Most predators strike at night. A predator proof coop will ensure they live to lay their next egg.

Welcome to BYC!
Looks like rode island reds to me. Very pretty girls!
To convince the girls to use the hutch as a coop, they either need to be shut up inside for three days or you must catch and place them inside every night. The three days inside would be better because they would lay there too (put golf balls in the nest boxes, or wooden or ceramic eggs to encourage laying) but your neighbor might not appreciate that. You can continue to show them the nest boxes until they get it but that would be a lot of work. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom