1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Meal worms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ametauss, Feb 25, 2009.

1. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    anyone do meal worm farming?? At $3 for 100, it's getting expensive to buy them and I was wondering how to start my own meal worm farm.

[​IMG]

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Do a search.. There are several sites that offer advise on this. You can also buy "worm trays". It's something i looked into but haven't done anything yet(chicken on my mind right now). Good Luck

3. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Here's a shop that sells large quantities of mealworms at better prices than what you've been paying: The Natures Way

4. ChicwannaB

ChicwannaB Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    so excited about this, I googled mealworms Live, dealers in my state and found I can get 2000 for 16.00 so I've ordered some. Now I just gotta find that Wheat bran stuff. Does anybody know if they can also eat wheat germ? that has to be kept fridgerated so it don't sprout.
    This is so cool, I'll be starting my own mealworm farm soon. YIPPEE, oh I'll have such happy hens.
    thanks for all the info.

5. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    I wouldn't try to grow them in straight wheat germ, but according to the bluebird site, you can raise them in oatmeal with some wheat germ in it. The site has a few different "recipes" for the mealworm bedding and feed:

http://www.sialis.org/raisingmealworms.htm

To find wheat bran, call around to feed stores. I found my wheat bran at a horse feed store in town. I had to buy a 40 lb bag, so be prepared to store in good sealable buckets if you do. It would be wise to freeze the wheat bran in whatever size batches fit in your freezer for a few days in order to kill grain moth larvae. Grain products are almost certain to have grain moth larvae, that can be maddening when they subsequently infest your pantry!

6. binders

binders Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
  7. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    All you need is wheat bran or rolled Oats. Check you local feed store. For a 50lb bags of wheat bran here its about $12. Check out the Mealworm Farming Thread on here and ask all of your questions there! There are many knowledgeable people that know a lot about farming Mealworms! Good Luck

Nate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by