Mealworm Farming

Valcine

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2020
I started my mealworm farm just over a week ago, and the first pupa has emerged from its cocoon this morning (or over night). It isn’t moving around much, but it is getting darker. Should I be concerned, or is it normal that it is not that active? When should it be more active?

I started my mealworm farm just over a week ago, and the first pupa has emerged from its cocoon this morning (or over night). It isn’t moving around much, but it is getting darker. Should I be concerned, or is it normal that it is not that active? When should it be more active?
Watch "Breeding Mealworms Made EASY! Step By Step!" on YouTube

The pupa only really moves if you pick it up ..... Each stage of life takes awhile in the mealworm life cycle.... When I bought my worms 9 years ago they guy frowned when I told him I was going to raise them and he said well it will take 3 to 4 months before you get any..... not to mention they slow down a bit in winter.

So I'd suggest to just ignore your farm for a few weeks otherwise you will drive yourself crazy ...Just make sure you have a carrot or something in there for moisture and I am assuming you have fresh bedding so they have plenty to eat.

The pupa only really moves if you pick it up ..... Each stage of life takes awhile in the mealworm life cycle.... When I bought my worms 9 years ago they guy frowned when I told him I was going to raise them and he said well it will take 3 to 4 months before you get any..... not to mention they slow down a bit in winter.

So I'd suggest to just ignore your farm for a few weeks otherwise you will drive yourself crazy ...Just make sure you have a carrot or something in there for moisture and I am assuming you have fresh bedding so they have plenty to eat.
Hello,
Yes. I have quick parts in the fire their bedding, and I alternate feeding them apples slices or carrots for their moisture needs. Thank you!

Do you mean that it is a pupa now, or that it is a beetle? The pupa stage lasts a couple weeks and they don’t move during that time. Just wiggle a little. Good luck with your mealworms! :)
It emerged from its pupa shell and is a beetle now. It just doesn’t move much. I was worried it was dying.

It emerged from its pupa shell and is a beetle now. It just doesn’t move much. I was worried it was dying.
My beetles don’t move much either, especially when they first emerge. They move around a bit more later, but don’t expect them to ever be super active. It’s nothing to worry about :)

Back
Top Bottom