Mealworm farming

Meal worms should be here tomorrow!!!!! Got a 17x24 plastic tub and got my crimped oats filled 3" deep!
ya.gif

Hey there y'all, I was wondering how bad the cleanup is and if their is a lot of dust from them?
smile.png
The frass ( meal worm skins) is very light and blows around easily. In my three drawer system with a screen bottom to the mealie drawer, I have frass on top daily. I have been pulling out the mealie drawer and taking it into the yard anhd letting the wind blow off the frass or doing it myself. Definately do it while standing upwind because the frass can get everywhere.

I checked on my meal worms & I had about 3 ants in there. I'm using a 3 drawer set up & the top one has the worms in it. Will the ants do any harm to my meal worms?

I had ants in mine for the first week. I never noticed them hurting anything. I mixed up some honey and borax and put it on the shelf behind my bins in the garage. Ants where all over it the first day it was out. The next day they were all gone and havent seen any since.

We get ants pretty bad where I live and I put several lids out of that mix in cupboards and shelfs and I havent seen ants since. Usually its a constant struggle getting rid of them buggers.

im sure the answer to this is here somewhere but i have read a lot and tried searching and cant find... but i started my mealworm farm a couples weeks ago now have new beetles finally but they seem to be laying on their backs mostly. I thought at first they are dead but i touched one and it wiggled i turned it over and it crawled... they are alive but is that normal for pretty newly morphed beetles???

My pupa seem to be drying out and dying. What can I do to keep them alive? I already have a humidifier running in the room 24 seven. But I'm having trouble keeping the humidity about 50.

The frass ( meal worm skins) is very light and blows around easily. In my three drawer system with a screen bottom to the mealie drawer, I have frass on top daily.  I have been pulling out the mealie drawer and taking it into the yard anhd letting the wind blow off the frass or doing it myself.  Definately do it while standing upwind because the frass can get everywhere.

Thank you so much! That doesn't sound very strenuous at all! :D

I've been getting about 20+ new beetles per day and almost as many new pupa. I 'think' I can see some micro movement around in the bottom, too. The last of the mealies I bought from the pet store that haven't pupated yet are huge. I'm tempted to feed a few of them to my chickies but I really want to build my numbers up first . . .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom