Mealworm farming

I've been getting about 20+ new beetles per day and almost as many new pupa. I 'think' I can see some micro movement around in the bottom, too. The last of the mealies I bought from the pet store that haven't pupated yet are huge. I'm tempted to feed a few of them to my chickies but I really want to build my numbers up first . . .

Where did you buy the mealies from? I've been trying to find the best deals and I really like Fluker's online. They have pretty good prices :)

im sure the answer to this is here somewhere but i have read a lot and tried searching and cant find... but i started my mealworm farm a couples weeks ago now have new beetles finally but they seem to be laying on their backs mostly. I thought at first they are dead but i touched one and it wiggled i turned it over and it crawled... they are alive but is that normal for pretty newly morphed beetles???
It's common for them to be upside down, they aren't the most talented walkers in the animal kingdom. ;)

If you haven't, you can add something for them to grab onto - cardboard paper towel/toilet paper rolls, or egg cartons, paper towels, whatever so that they can correct themselves. Eventually they'll figure it out. They'll burrow down into your oatmeal/brown, so they can eat. It's probably ok to cover them up with bran rather than constantly flipping them back over. Just like the carboard items to help them out; apple slices, carrots, banana peels will help them by giving them something to grab onto and correct themselves (as well as giving them water).

Where did you buy the mealies from? I've been trying to find the best deals and I really like Fluker's online. They have pretty good prices
smile.png

I'll have to check Fluker's out. I bought 200 from a local pet store to start with and then some from a person on this site. There are several here that sell mealies and mealie starter kits.

I'll have to check Fluker's out. I bought 200 from a local pet store to start with and then some from a person on this site. There are several here that sell mealies and mealie starter kits.

Oh cool, thank you! I'm looking at Fluker's now and I'm thinking about getting 1000 for $8.50 I'm not sure how much shipping is though. I just bought a 4 drawer sterilite container and I have no clue as to how many to get! Heehee I am so excited!!!! :D

I have had my mealies for almost 2 weeks. They have been eating fine, until yesterday. I put a fresh carrot in yesterday morning, and this morning it doesn't look like it has been touched.

Should I be worried?

Meal worms should be here tomorrow!!!!! Got a 17x24 plastic tub and got my crimped oats filled 3" deep!

:) They should thrive and multiply like mad.
If you're going to keep them in a shed or garage a great way to figure out if your temperature range is right is to set a small glass of water next to the bin, put a floating aquarium thermometer in it and check it whenever you mess with your bin. I no longer have the cup and thermometer but thats how I know which shelf to keep my worms on. The bottom shelf was too cold in the dead of winter and even with the heat the worms themselves generated they started to go dormant. I moved them up three shelves, out of the draft and they're active year round.

:) They should thrive and multiply like mad.
If you're going to keep them in a shed or garage a great way to figure out if your temperature range is right is to set a small glass of water next to the bin, put a floating aquarium thermometer in it and check it whenever you mess with your bin. I no longer have the cup and thermometer but thats how I know which shelf to keep my worms on. The bottom shelf was too cold in the dead of winter and even with the heat the worms themselves generated they started to go dormant. I moved them up three shelves, out of the draft and they're active year round. 

Okay I will do that! Man I was completely grossed out at first! But they're actually pretty cool! I love to watch them

I bought 3,000 mealies from Uncle Jim's, and they showed up in great shape. They weren't quite as cheap as some others have gotten them for, but still I think 3,000 were around $30 with shipping. Not bad for good worms!

Okay I will do that! Man I was completely grossed out at first! But they're actually pretty cool! I love to watch them

LOL I try to be nice to all the worlds creatures but I'll swat a creepy crawler dead and be the first person to shuck down and hop in the shower if I even suspect there's a dead or live bug on me. I can't stand them! It freaks me out and gives me goosebumps just thinking about touching them. I know I look dang stupid wearing my elbow length gloves in the garden but I'd have nothing but weeds and bugs without them :p Which is why I've figured out how to raise mealworms with as little hands on from me as possible LOL

Back
Top Bottom