Mealworm farming

Here are some pictures of my mealworm setup, the one drawer has a metal net to drop the eggs from the Beatles to the middle drawer where they grow to be pupa.
[/IMG][/IMG]

I got some worms from the feed store, they are all beetles now and doing well (I got them in October, but it is cold in my house so took them alongggg time to become beetles). then I got some from Petco, they seem to be dying off. So now I just got more off the internet (feed store doesn't carry them in the winter?) which I think is weird, that is just when you need them... The internet ones seem fine (even though they traveled in sub freezing temps to Minnesota). Does anyone have a guess as to the reason the ones from Petco seem to be dying? Has anyone ran into this?

The ones from Petco were probably old when you got them. That would account for mass die-off. Or they could have been subjected to a fungus in the substrate from their original bedding.

A tip for keeping your beetles and worms warm for faster metamorphoses and growth: heat a good sized covered plastic container of water in the microwave for five or six minutes until it's partway to boiling. Place your worm and beetle trays on top of these warm water containers. I wrap towels around the containers to keep in the heat, and they last all day. I microwave again before I got to bed so they stay toasty all night. This is much better than electric heating devices which produce hot spots and cause death. My worms and beetles are thriving and growing at breakneck speed.

To be clear, microwave the tubs of water, NOT the trays of beetles and worms!

And here is the problem with the BYC site, every time I log on I find more awesome threads that I must follow. Not enough time in the day to absorb all the knowledge available here. Cool information on here and some net tricks I never thought of for my mealworm farm. Thanks all!!!

The ones from Petco were probably old when you got them. That would account for mass die-off. Or they could have been subjected to a fungus in the substrate from their original bedding.

A tip for keeping your beetles and worms warm for faster metamorphoses and growth: heat a good sized covered plastic container of water in the microwave for five or six minutes until it's partway to boiling. Place your worm and beetle trays on top of these warm water containers. I wrap towels around the containers to keep in the heat, and they last all day. I microwave again before I got to bed so they stay toasty all night. This is much better than electric heating devices which produce hot spots and cause death. My worms and beetles are thriving and growing at breakneck speed.

To be clear, microwave the tubs of water, NOT the trays of beetles and worms!
Thankyou, good advice.

Last edited:
And here is the problem with the BYC site, every time I log on I find more awesome threads that I must follow. Not enough time in the day to absorb all the knowledge available here. Cool information on here and some net tricks I never thought of for my mealworm farm. Thanks all!!!
Agreed!
wee.gif
Here is me trying to keep up with the threads I subscribe too!

For future reference, should you quarantine worms when you get them for a couple weeks, before adding them into your farm? I added them right in, then noticed the die off. I knew it was them because most of my old worms were pupa or beetles when I added them.

Here is my farm, a 10 gallon aquarium. I cut toilet paper rolls in half and stick them in there as little domes, they like to go under them. In the evening the beetles come out and are very active. They seem to like apple pieces better than potato pieces, i've noticed.

If adding worms or beetles to your farm, I'd be inclined to begin a completely separate new labeled tray for them, and let your older critters stage out. It would be easier to track the health of these newcomers that way. It could clue you to avoiding or reordering in the future from that outlet.

Back
Top Bottom