Mealworm farming

The "bedding" is their food. They are "meal" worms... they eat grains... or as it's also known when processed, meal. You don't WANT it absorbing moisture as that will lead to mold. You shouldn't have to replace it, just add more to it when it's getting low. Their poop, called frass, is dry and very small compared to the grain. it will normally sink to the bottom and the worms will stay above that level in the substrate/bedding/food.

The "bedding" is their food. They are "meal" worms... they eat grains... or as it's also known when processed, meal. You don't WANT it absorbing moisture as that will lead to mold. You shouldn't have to replace it, just add more to it when it's getting low. Their poop, called frass, is dry and very small compared to the grain. it will normally sink to the bottom and the worms will stay above that level in the substrate/bedding/food.
Good explanation^^^

You also want to be careful of what you use for 'wet vegetable food' depending on the climate they are in.
I use carrots in summer as it's humid here as apples mold quickly.... and draw fruit flies,
but apples are good in winter when my house is dry from heating.

I just found my first pupa of this generation! It's HUGE!!! I've had some really monster worms in this batch, wonder if they're actually getting larger or if they are just now hitting their genetic potential.

I have almost 600 pupa and over 40 beetles in drawer 1. I still have about 1800 more worms in the next drawed. The death rate of the worms has been almost 20%. I ordered 3000.

Last edited:
Well, finally found a use for my worms... I appear to have dragonflies larvae in my water tub at the barn.... little buggers have eaten everything in there that moves already...

Latestarter,
I have found that the outside of the potato does dry out a bit and gets discolored, but its not mold. I leave them in there and the worms eat it to nothing. I continue to add more potatoes and carrots, but I never remove them. The worms eat tunnels out of them and the inside is still moist and juicy for them. The larvae don't need much, but the potatoes are there for the beetles. They all seem to do just fine on old crinkly potatoes.
Waste not, want not.

Latestarter,
I have found that the outside of the potato does dry out a bit and gets discolored, but its not mold. I leave them in there and the worms eat it to nothing. I continue to add more potatoes and carrots, but I never remove them. The worms eat tunnels out of them and the inside is still moist and juicy for them. The larvae don't need much, but the potatoes are there for the beetles. They all seem to do just fine on old crinkly potatoes.
Waste not, want not.
We were always taught waste not want not as well! I wish I was better about it with our groceries, but we are trying.
big_smile.png

Since it's hard for me discern the dry discoloration from mold on potatoes, I just play it safe with carrots. I get mold so easy and don't even know where it comes from. My bin with dog food turned super moldy. Always at the bottom of the bin, not near the top. Makes me wonder if the worms/beetles are putting out some of their own moisture. Also, in the PNW there are more types of fungal spores than I could imagine.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom