Mealworm farming

I started with some that were being sold on CL and got hooked. My 1 1/2 lbs + cocoons turned into a worm obsession, lol. I now have: 5 worm bins, 1 Worm Inn (which I won online along with 2 lbs. of red worms), and a Can-of-Worms tower (bought on Craigslist).
They are a bit pricey but Bentley (from Redwormcomposting.com) is a great source. He's in Canada but ships here. His worms are always in great condition when they arrive and he has a great composting/vermiculture blog. And, no, I don't get paid for the plug, lol. I've just found his site very entertaining and informative . . .

Put some watermelon rinds in wiht the beetles today and they are loving them. I thought I would put some in with the worms and see what happens. I am going to watch them closely to make sure thay do not mold.

I get my mealies from Rainbow Mealworms in California and love the result. Well packed and generously counted!

Birds that will eat mealies: (http://audubon-omaha.org/bbbox/bbrp/mealworm.htm)

Mealworms are easy to raise. Only a few basics need be followed to start and maintain a mealworm colony for a constant supply. In addition to bluebirds, mealworms will attract a wide variety of popular bird feeder visitors. The Midwest birds listed below LOVE mealworms and may even have a preference for them over and above black sunflower seed. In other geographical areas an even greater variety of birds will be attracted to mealworms.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]American Robins[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Indigo Buntings[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]House Finches[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Rose-breasted Grosbeaks
Chickadees[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Rufus-sided Towhees[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Northern Cardinals[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Chipping Sparrows
Downy Woodpeckers[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Field Sparrows[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Nuthatches[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Song Sparrows
Red-bellied Woodpeckers[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Juncos[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Hairy Woodpeckers[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Grackles
Catbirds[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Blackbirds[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Blue Jays[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Tanagers
Brown Thrashers[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Orioles[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Mockingbirds[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Evening Grosbeaks
Warblers[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Purple Finches[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Vireos[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Brown Creepers
Kinglets[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Carolina Wrens[/FONT]​

Hello BYC peeps,

Posting a few pics of my beetle bin....its going crazy. I'm pulling as many beetles and pupa out of the 2 other bins nightly...probably 100 of each per night. Plus, ( dont ask me why ) but I bid on an auction for 500 beetles and won. lol Going to start a new colony with those.

The girls and I are having fun...they let me do all the work and they just wanna watch.
big_smile.png

I do have a lot of dead larva and pupa in the other 2 pans. Lesson learned on keeping the food from being buried. It ended up rotting and destroying about 1/4 of the bin. I'm trying to pick them out as I can. Next thing I need is sifting tools. Not sure what to use.

Any ideas or suggestions for getting pupa/beetles out of the larva? Or cleaning EVERYTHING outta larva?

Thanks
Eddie

I forgot the darn pics.... lol

Last edited:
Hello BYC peeps,

Posting a few pics of my beetle bin....its going crazy. I'm pulling as many beetles and pupa out of the 2 other bins nightly...probably 100 of each per night. Plus, ( dont ask me why ) but I bid on an auction for 500 beetles and won. lol Going to start a new colony with those.

The girls and I are having fun...they let me do all the work and they just wanna watch.
big_smile.png

I do have a lot of dead larva and pupa in the other 2 pans. Lesson learned on keeping the food from being buried. It ended up rotting and destroying about 1/4 of the bin. I'm trying to pick them out as I can. Next thing I need is sifting tools. Not sure what to use.

Any ideas or suggestions for getting pupa/beetles out of the larva? Or cleaning EVERYTHING outta larva?

Thanks
Eddie

I forgot the darn pics.... lol

Holy cow, that's a lot of beetles!

Has any one figured out a good way to sort.
I would like to develop .. 3 tubs.. rotating.. in worm beatle/ egg and pupae.. ready to mature.
so that .. i can know which bin to feed out of..
I started with 8000 .. and have lots of pupae and beatles now. few worms.
( if i were to do it again.. i would have sorted into 4 groups when i recieved them
1 to feed out.
2 to start the developing colony
3 & 4 to go in fridg so to delay maturation.. )

I have the walmart.. trey system.. and like it very well.
.. I have middle bin with the sifted older bran.? maybe eggs.. and mature beatles.. their good.. to go..
bin on top has pupae.. and new fresh.. baked bran.. ( to try and get.. 3 cycles going.)
3rd bin.. is mixed.. worms pupae and beatles. every thing happened real fast..

i had some molding in one trey.. and i just cleaned out every thing.. and tossed the bad bran.
and after sifting .. sorting.. they all went thru a molt again.. ( handeling seems to have them molt.. ? any one notice this.)

My trouble .. is when it comes time to feed meal worms.. my strainer is.. not able to separate the bran from the worms.. ?
any suggestions.. on good tools..

also.. it's very time consuming.. to pick out pupae.. to .. get the bins on a cycle..
Is it worth the time.? will they hatch. in cycles if I sort pupae now.. or am i wasting my time..

or.. is there other way's of separating the 3 stages..
thanks for your experience..

thanks you postes while i was typing..
is there a chance.. walmart has a photo on the web.. of your tool?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I've asked this before and it may seem like a silly question, but at what stage do you begin feeding them? I got mine last week and gave a small bowl full to my 2 week old chicks and they went crazy over them!! I love seeing them so happy!

Back
Top Bottom