Mealworm farming

Ditto on the strainer being a clever idea. I am going to try this. I think it will save me a lot of time.

I try to add to the strainer first when they're thirsty.
Within an hour or so it's a mad house. You just have to remember to add some in other parts of the bin so the beetles can still feed.

Wow I think I may try this! Not sure how to start... Tips?
You can make it as simple or complex as you like. I'm going to use a 20 gallon aquarium that I have laying around. Put about 3" of oats in the bottom, place a piece of newspaper in there with some carrot slices or potato slices on it for them to eat, go buy a thing of meal worms either from a bait shop (faster) or online (more worms for less$$) and then just dump them in there.

Ditto on the strainer being a clever idea. I am going to try this. I think it will save me a lot of time.

I try to add to the strainer first when they're thirsty.
Within an hour or so it's a mad house. You just have to remember to add some in other parts of the bin so the beetles can still feed.

Ok. Thanks for the additional info! It makes sense. So glad you shared this!

I ordered some mealworms today to get started! We've had mealworms in the past and kept them around for many months, but never really focused on continually growing more. My 14 yo daughter has agreed to be in charge of this project. :) Now to go back and finish reading this entire thread and glean more wisdom for everyone's experiences...

Thanks Sue :) I live in high plains (almost desert) conditions here on the front range in Colorado... I'll keep a close eye on it and if it seems too moist or I think mold is developing, the sponge will come out. I check them several times a day (hey, I can't help it... I'm nosy!)... in the early AM before work, as soon as I get home, and before I go to bed... I'm sure the thrill/entertainment value will wear off shortly LOL. There were already pupae in there when I dumped them out and just in one day, the number seems to have doubled... I'm eagerly awaiting my first beetle!

I'm also on the FR Colorado. Mine took an age to get to beetle stage (over 3 months) and now I have a billion beetles only. No sign of small worms yet, but I'm thinking that our dry conditions just put everything into slow motion.

I'm also on the FR Colorado. Mine took an age to get to beetle stage (over 3 months) and now I have a billion beetles only. No sign of small worms yet, but I'm thinking that our dry condition put everything into slow motion.
Got keep 'em warm ;-) ~80 degrees F

I started 2 months ago with 500 live worms from Petco. I got a 15" x 10" plastic container from the dollar store and put a few cups of chick starter and a few cups of quick oats. I covered most exposed areas with newspaper and paper towel. I put only baby carrots, two at a time. I now have several beetles. The newspaper is literally dancing up and down with movement from all stages. Since I started in late winter with indoor temps around 65 the process was slower. It's now around 72 degrees and they're happy. Thanks to all the helpful advice here. The only thing I won't do is add calcium since I'll give most worms to chicks.

Back
Top Bottom