Mealworm farming

Not sure, but how long did it take from Pupate to Beetle??
I have a ton of them but only 1 beetle that came with some worms originally.

Anyone else kind of 'forget' that you have worms? They are in my office and I had some paper in the bins that they were eating... and making all sorts of noises ! gross. Took out the paper and put in old egg cartons. WAY quieter now, but now i forget they are there. :caf

I average around 20 weeks from the time I place a fresh tray of substrate under my beetles to begin collecting eggs to the point I have larvae of the size to begin feeding to the chickens. It may be a little faster in winter since my meal worm farm is sitting next to the wood stove and it gets a lot more heat than in summer.

I started a bunch of bins around July. I keep carrots, sweet potatoes, newspaper, paper egg cartons and wheat bran in the trays. Seems like the process took about 3mo to get decent chicken sized wormies. Now i have them at various sizes. I think growth depends a lot on care. Warmth, good constant food supply and keeping the bedding cleaned of moldy stuff and moisture makes a difference.

Mine get fresh food (and old stuff removed) about every 2 days... sometimes 3. They are not in warm place though (basement, heated but a basement none the less). I don't have anywhere else to keep them so they'll have to develop more slowly. I'm okay with that. I started with chicken-sized worms (1000 of them) but didn't feed any out at that point. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully have some by wintertime when they can't get out and scratch.

I'm having a problem where my mealworms are pupating and then they just dry up and die. Anyone have any idea's on what the problem is and what I can do to correct this.

I'm having a problem where my mealworms are pupating and then they just dry up and die. Anyone have any idea's on what the problem is and what I can do to correct this.
I would try increasing the humidity in the pupa container. Maybe put some wet cotton balls in the bottom of a container and then some plastic mesh with the pupa on top so they aren't wet, but they have some extra humidity.

I had some like that and added more carrots more often. They seem to be 'beetling' now
:lau

My issue is they are ALL pupating !

I also just got a HUGE bucket of Superworms. Mainly for son's Dragons but I wonder if I smash them before giving them to the chickens is that is ok. No way the dragons will eat all of them ! And they are HUGE !

I had some like that and added more carrots more often. They seem to be 'beetling' now
:lau

My issue is they are ALL pupating !

I also just got a HUGE bucket of Superworms. Mainly for son's Dragons but I wonder if I smash them before giving them to the chickens is that is ok. No way the dragons will eat all of them ! And they are HUGE !
I have RIRs/orpingtons and they dont have a problem scarfing down giant mealys. I feed my new chicks mealys..and it is amazing at the size of some of the worries I have seen chicks gulp down...

I have had them die from to much heat, to dry and to cold. Mainly..to hot and not enough moisture. Also...some vegetables can mold..or grow fungus that might lead to issues. I quit using potatoes. Mainly just feed carrots and wheat bran

Back
Top Bottom