Mealworms farming

well I did it! I pulled each paper out and put them on a large cookie sheet... I ordered 5000 because it cost so much to ship... I called Rainbow Mealworms and he said next time order the ones in egg cartons...
Okay, if I have this right, I'm going to wait until I see pupae, then I put them into a drawer by them selves....is that right?
put all mealworms in a bin and wait for pupaes. Make sure they have substare and moisture. Well hydrated worms make best pupaes. Remove pupaes to a small container they do not eat or drink. As they turn to beetles move them to a drawer. Yes egg cartons are easier to remove from. As always more questions are welcome.

put all mealworms in a bin and wait for pupaes. Make sure they have substare and moisture. Well hydrated worms make best pupaes. Remove pupaes to a small container they do not eat or drink. As they turn to beetles move them to a drawer. Yes egg cartons are easier to remove from. As always more questions are welcome.
o
well I put them into 2 drawers because I got the smaller drawers... I put 7 baby Carrots in with them.. OMG..... that's a lot of worms.... will the pupae come to the top so I can see them? I'm glad you told me not to give the pupae anything to eat or drink, just put them in a drawer with nothing... oh, I'm just a little nervous.... 5,000 looked like soooo many, I took some out and gave them to my chickens and they loved them...
1f60a.png

o
well I put them into 2 drawers because I got the smaller drawers... I put 7 baby Carrots in with them.. OMG..... that's a lot of worms.... will the pupae come to the top so I can see them? I'm glad you told me not to give the pupae anything to eat or drink, just put them in a drawer with nothing... oh, I'm just a little nervous.... 5,000 looked like soooo many, I took some out and gave them to my chickens and they loved them...
1f60a.png
how many cups of treats are you wanting to give to your chickens and jackson a day. And do you want to sell some to other people out there. Pupaes will come to the top. Easy to find. Depending on how many you want to feed off and sell i can give you a count of how many beetles you want to use as breeders. Too many and youre wasting bran and veggies. Too little and not enough mealworms.

how many cups of treats are you wanting to give to your chickens and jackson a day. And do you want to sell some to other people out there. Pupaes will come to the top. Easy to find. Depending on how many you want to feed off and sell i can give you a count of how many beetles you want to use as breeders. Too many and youre wasting bran and veggies. Too little and not enough mealworms.

Okay, I don't know how many I want to feed... I have 14 Australorps and that's all... I took out about 1/8 cup today....they loved them..
I'm glad the pupae come to the top and make it easy to find them...lol I'm not interested in selling any...just wanted to have some for my hens..

Okay, I don't know how many I want to feed... I have 14 Australorps and that's all... I took out about 1/8 cup today....they loved them..
I'm glad the pupae come to the top and make it easy to find them...lol I'm not interested in selling any...just wanted to have some for my hens..
well then you have bunches more than you need for breeding, thats good for the feathery friends you have. My current math is 250 beetles will produce 16000 everytwo weeks. Thats about 6 cups. And will go through one 50 pound bag of bran and 30 pounds of potatoes every 3 months. Depending on the price of bran and taters that should give a cost close to a dollar a thousand. Hopefully those numbers will help you decide how many to keep as breeders. Any thing else you want to ask, please do. This is fun.

well then you have bunches more than you need for breeding, thats good for the feathery friends you have. My current math is 250 beetles will produce 16000 everytwo weeks. Thats about 6 cups. And will go through one 50 pound bag of bran and 30 pounds of potatoes every 3 months. Depending on the price of bran and taters that should give a cost close to a dollar a thousand. Hopefully those numbers will help you decide how many to keep as breeders. Any thing else you want to ask, please do. This is fun.

Oh my goodness, then I will be feeding some to them each day for a bit... even 16,000 is a lot.... lol Can you please tell me how is the easiest way you get the worms out,to feed to them each day? I've read that a folded paper towel makes them crawl in? Do you dampen it or dry?

Oh my goodness, then I will be feeding some to them each day for a bit... even 16,000 is a lot.... lol Can you please tell me how is the easiest way you get the worms out,to feed to them each day? I've read that a folded paper towel makes them crawl in? Do you dampen it or dry?
dry the larges like to hide in between things. Newspaper also works for me. Just not the clored pages they can have heavy metals in th ink. No good. I will also put a couple hand fulls into a Tupperware with corners and shake it back and forth a little into the corner. It makes the worms separate from the grain because they are bigger they end up at the sides and top of the pile. More questions please send them my way.

dry the larges like to hide in between things. Newspaper also works for me. Just not the clored pages they can have heavy metals in th ink. No good. I will also put a couple hand fulls into a Tupperware with corners and shake it back and forth a little into the corner. It makes the worms separate from the grain because they are bigger they end up at the sides and top of the pile. More questions please send them my way.

Okay,I think I've got it at least up to now..lol I'm just excited to be able to feed my hens some each day for a while...
1f600.png

I'm so proud to tell you, I have pupae!! I've been picking them out all during the day... I think I'm up to 40 or more!!

I need to make sure that you said the pupae do not need anything, no oatmeal or bran and NO apples or carrots... is that right? Do they need anything to keep them warm or anything? Rae

Back
Top Bottom