Mealworms farming

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SuperLuke, Sep 3, 2014.

1. lovemealworms

lovemealworms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2015
    chico, California
    don't need anything i just put mine in a small Tupperware. Or cup until they morph into beetles. Keep them the same temp you're keeping the mealworms at and you should have beetles in 6-14 days congratulations.

2. Granny368W

Granny368W Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    okay, I put them in a paper bowl... is it the white worms that turn into the pupae? Can the beetles get out of the drawer? I was taking out some worms this morning for my chickens when I saw the pupae, so I didn't feed them many because I was afraid I missed a pupae...lol

3. lovemealworms

Oct 2, 2015
    chico, California
    no worries the white worms are the ones that have just molted. It means they are growing. After all their standard molts are done they will molt into a pupae. The beetles will not escape unless you starve them of moisture. They only leave to find a better spot to lay and if you give them their veggies they will stay. You will get very quick at finding pupaes soon. I get about 200 a day now. It's best to get them asap so if you can, check them every few hours of the daytime. You will find most by the veggies.

4. Granny368W

Jun 14, 2015
    okay, that's what I've been doing, looking every few hours.... so when the beetles are in the bowl, I put them back into the drawer with all the worms? What will the beetles lay their eggs on? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I really want to do this right....
    we had such huge winds today the hens didn't want to stick around with me...lol Rae

5. lovemealworms

Oct 2, 2015
    chico, California
    no problem beetles always go in their own bin with substrate you have three drawers right now correct? Top drawer for beetles. And after four weeks or so move the drawer with beetles down to next slot and put the beetles themselves into new top drawer with fresh substrate. Aftr another four weeks do it again. And move the now 4 week larvae drawer down to bottom. That will become the harvest drawer. From then on you pour second drawer into bottom and use it as the new top drawer for the beetles to move into. If you want i can draw a picture or something. I know some people need a visual. As always more questions the better.

6. Granny368W

Jun 14, 2015
    oh my, now I'm so confused again... can you please take a picture of your set up?.. darn, I understand so my worm drawer right now is the 2nd drawer, the beetles in the top drawer and then for the 3rd drawer will be when I pour the drawer of beetles turned to worms? And so on.... good lord how could I be so stupid ?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  7. lovemealworms

Oct 2, 2015
    chico, California
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You're not stupid it just a pain to visualize. Hopefully this helps. A picture of my setup would melt a beginners brain i think it has 23 drawers. So with these pics you do step one and two after your beetles settle into top drawer for a month. Then a month later step 3 and 4. From then on just repeat 3 and four every month. If you need any more explanation i will make a video and put it on youtube for you if you want. Any questions ask away.

8. Granny368W

Jun 14, 2015
    okay, I think I've got it, worms don't eat works, right?

9. lovemealworms

Oct 2, 2015
    chico, California
    Worms only eat worms when they need moisture. Glad the pictures helped.

1 person likes this.
  10. Granny368W

Jun 14, 2015
    Wow, I have a lot of pupae.... I just pick them out all day long...lol I could have a beetle in a week or sooner....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by