Mealworms farming

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SuperLuke, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Granny368W

Granny368W Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    This is the first time I have grown mealworms too.... I think I had 3 beetles but I didn't know they were beetles so I killed them...[​IMG] I just thought that other bugs got in...lol Now I know NOT to kill them, I'm waiting for them to grow.... I use the baby Carrots and they love them,I have to put 4-5 in every three days or so... If I ask questions, lovemealworms helps me out.....

2. lovemealworms

lovemealworms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2015
    chico, California
    when giving veggies i check all veggies thst are in with them. Every dried out or moldy looking piece i pull out and replace. Every setup will be different because of ambient humidity, temperature and how many bugs.

3. Granny368W

Jun 14, 2015
    Oh yeah, I always take the old pieces of Carrots out....We don't have much humidity up here in Montana...

4. Granny368W

Jun 14, 2015

I have beetles now.... I have a question.... Do the beetles die after laying the eggs? And if so about how long does this take? Do the beetles eat the eggs or the pupae? I have all the pupae in shallow paper bowl and it is pushed down into the oatmeal and bran so when the beetles appear they can crawl out into the food.... Ugh! I'm so sorry for all the questions.... Rae

5. rachelsflock

rachelsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2015
    Detroit Metro Area
    Beetles will die after a few weeks to a month of laying. Until then they just mate and lay and lay and lay and lay.... They're trying to beat the clock to reproduce and much as possible. Then they die.

6. rachelsflock

rachelsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2015
    Detroit Metro Area
    ...Sorry to barge in on this thread, but that was a question I had starting out too.

7. lovemealworms

Oct 2, 2015
    chico, California
    my beetles are finally dieing off from my testing bins. They have been beetles for ten weeks. I had 90 die last week during the tenth week of being beetles. And almost that many already this week. The beetles will eat eggs larvae and pupaes. If they can climb out of the bowl just put it on top of the substrate so as they leave they can't climb back in. As long as you give veggies or have moist veggies in there they will mostly leave everything else alone. No problem on the questions. I like to help.

8. lovemealworms

Oct 2, 2015
    chico, California
    don't worry it's not barging in. This is a public forum and all are welcome.

9. Granny368W

Jun 14, 2015
    Thank you lovemealworms... I think k I'll just keep picking out the beetles then... I have baby Carrots in there or the beetles... Should I put in a piece of bark for the beetles to lay their eggs on? Or will they just lay their eggs in the oatmeal and bran? Oh my goodness, I just keep having questions...lol

10. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds easy to "breed" them. So why are
    Mealworms so stinkin expensive!!? Maybe it's harder than what you guys make it sound? And do any of you dry them like they are sold in the store?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by