1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mealworms farming

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SuperLuke, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Granny368W

Granny368W Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    My chickens love them alive... I have no idea how to freeze dry them... I'm just starting out so far (for me) it has been very easy....But I have time to sit and go through them to pick out the pupae and now the beetles.... I can't wait to see lots of tiny worms! Rae

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  2. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

Well my chickens are almost 6 weeks old. They barely will accept scraps and I've gotten a few of them to eat spiders and a couple worms...but until I know they are going to be EXCITED about them I'm not going to spend the $$$. If they absolutely love them I might consider raising them.

3. Granny368W

Jun 14, 2015

4. Granny368W

Jun 14, 2015
    Well I don't think anybody is trying to force you into mealworms-farming.... It's our own decisions... I'm really enjoying it and my 14 chickens love them... so I'm doing it until I no longer want to... Rae

5. Bridebeliever

No, no, I know that nobody is suggesting that "I" should raise mealworms! Or anyone else for that matter! I just found it interesting. And I thought if my chickens wind up loving them I should consider doing it because they are so expensive.

6. lovemealworms

lovemealworms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2015
    chico, California
    they will lay their eggs under the substrate no need for bark. Some paper towel or toilet paper rolls for them to hide in are nice. They love darkness

7. lovemealworms

lovemealworms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2015
    chico, California
    they are easy to breed. Most companies are trying to get the maximum that people will pay. Doing it yourself can easily drop the price down to a dollar a thousand or less. A lot of it is the yuck factor. Most people don't want bugs breeding in their house. I dry them with my oven or my dehydrator they come out more deflated than the store dried ones. Any questions please ask.

8. Bridebeliever

Bugs don't bother me at all...I'm the spider killer in my house! LOL I think the store ones are freeze dried, that's probably the difference.

9. Granny368W

Jun 14, 2015
    Okay, thanks... I'll put some toilet paper rolls in..[​IMG]

10. Granny368W

Jun 14, 2015
    Question I'm having a lot of beetles now, several times a day I have to pick them out....But, a lot of them seem to stay on her back.. Some seem more strong... I try and turn them over to their tummy but it is hard... I now have a lot of them.... When do they start laying their eggs? Rae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by