Mealworms farming

Pics

SuperLuke

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Im confused on when you harvest the mealworms. And how long you keep them when there babies

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I don't know a thing about farming mealworms!
hide.gif
You might want to stop by this thread on mealworm farming...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/492636/mealworm-farming

Good luck with your mealworms and happy farming!! :)

Hi, i breed mealworms. Very easy and alot cheaper and the chickens go crazy for them. Babies will keep growing and shed, wait to fatten them up, they eat oatbran, cheap from the supermarket. Put them in a tub with either a few inches deep. Sliced carrot on top is their fluid supply or potatoe or apple. After several weeks to 2 months, depending on temps, they slow right down and then stop moving turning into pupae. Put them in another container with bran or oatmeal. In couple of weeks they turn into dark beetles, they eat and drink the same stuff. Give them two weeks or so to lay eggs at bottom of container then remove beetles to another tub to lay more eggs. This is easily done with a sieve. Eggs will hatch into young mealworms and so the cycle goes on again. You end up with too many beetles, beware they do fly when older, let some go as well as feed to chickens if you want. Some people don't separate the pupae and the beetles but just watch the beetles don't eat them. I've found some eat each other at every stage so now i separate.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom