Mealworms for Ducks?

When my runners were little, I put just a tiny sprinkling on their food in the morning. Maybe a teaspoon for a 6 inch diameter tray of food. That was based on what I read in Storey's Guide, and there are zillions of questions we have when we start out.

Much of what I share is what I know through the forum, plenty of it is backed up by my own experience. There are folks here who have many more ducks and have had them many more years than I.

About them being expensive, You can grow meal worms from now until eternity with just a bag of corn meal.
Pour it into the dirt the meal worms are in and they'll multiply like crazy.

Oh yess you CAN!!!!!
They absolutely love it! and it's rich in protein!!! You should check some proffessional breeding sites- dried or fresh... Good luck

I get my meal worms at chubbymealworms.com, my birds love them.
That is a pretty reasonable price if you dont have local stores that sell them. I have found them as cheap as 3.50 for a 7 oz bag at Smiths grocery so that is a better deal for me. Look in your grocery or hardware/ garden center in the wild bird section, you will often find them there much more reasonably priced than any feed store ive been to.

Funny story. I keep my meal worms in the sunroom in the back yard. The door is almost always open. Birds fly in there occasionally but they get out OK.
This last week there has been a Magpie visiting inside the sunroom regularly. Weird thought I, but dismissed it.
I went out the other day thinking to myself that I should probably clean up some of the spiderwebs in the corners and discovered a mealworm caught in one of the webs.
Weird, thought I.
All I had in there was a single, brand new sealed bag of worms. These are dead dried mealworms, how the heck would they move? And what would move them delicately enough that one would be caught in the spider web without breaking it? Further inspection revealed that there were several escapees from the bag.
So after a few minutes of utter confusion I picked up the bag, inspecting it to make sure it was still sealed. It was. Except for a hole right in the middle of the bag that the Magpie had picked through to get to the worms therein. Clever bird! No wonder he kept flying in the sunroom all week! Made a bit of a mess. i now keep them (the worms, not the magpie) in an old rolled oats cardboard container. Lets see if that bird can get the lid off.

Back
Top Bottom