mealworms or something else? Can I feed them to my ladies? Please help

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Marion565, Sep 19, 2010.

  1. Marion565

    Marion565 Chillin' With My Peeps

    Good morning everyone,
    I just came down from cleaning the coop and I wanted to dispose of some feed that had gotten wet and moldy ( inside a metal can ) I knew that it had gotten wet so I didn't feed the chickens with it. I just did not have time to dispose of it.
    Well today I thought I'd clean it out and to my "suprise" there were hundreds of mealworm looking little things in it.
    I want to know if it is okay to feed them to my ladies. I am nor sure if they are mealworms or not.
    Please anyone, any input is welcome.

    Thanks
     
  2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

    15,959
    38
    323
    Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    If it's a bug, it's fine to feed to your gals! [​IMG]
     
  3. sillybirds

    sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

    555
    7
    143
    Aug 5, 2008
    California
    I would be a little concerned about giving them to your chickens as the worms (?) have been presumably been eating the moldy feed. Some types of mold can have poisonous toxins in it, and I'd be worried the toxins might be transmitted to your chickens via the worms. I don't know that for a fact, though.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by