Mealworms To Raise

Ladies-Eight

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Feb 23, 2018
Hollister, Florida 32147
I am a firm believer in needing to raise my own mealworms as related to the price of dried ones. My husband and I were talking the other day and he informed me he would be using the mealworms when he goes fishing. I decided that I needed to order more mealworms toad to my farm. Exotic Nutrition was having a sale and I purchased 4,000 mealworms for $33.20. They usually sell for over $10.00 for a thousand mealworms. If you order the mealworms, DON'T order the giant ones as are usually sterile.

If you are interested in raising mealworms, now would be a good time to start.

Here are two areas to help start a mealworm farm:

Exotic Nutrition Pet Supply Company - They have mealworms and all the accessories that you could need to raise mealworms

How To Raise Mealworms - Gallo del Cielo written on January 11, 2012, and updated on September 25, 2014 on Backyard Chickens

In making my farm I used a ten gallon aquarium. My husband found an aquarium screen on Amazon that I keep on top to keep everyone in the aquarium. I have been keeping the farm covered with a towel as I keep it in my house and I don't want them to get too cold. I will try to add some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0888.JPG
    IMG_0888.JPG
    633.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0885.JPG
    IMG_0885.JPG
    470.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0883.JPG
    IMG_0883.JPG
    624.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0882.JPG
    IMG_0882.JPG
    557.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0876.JPG
    IMG_0876.JPG
    501.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0874.JPG
    IMG_0874.JPG
    447.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0869.JPG
    IMG_0869.JPG
    660.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0877.JPG
    IMG_0877.JPG
    518.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0873.JPG
    IMG_0873.JPG
    618.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0880.JPG
    IMG_0880.JPG
    389.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0880 (2).JPG
    IMG_0880 (2).JPG
    389.4 KB · Views: 23
I started my mealworm farm this winter also. Two types of mealworms, one farm in a 55 gallon tank and one in a 20 gallon tank. I keep them inside, they aren't going anywhere :D

I'm happy to be adding these to the farm and I know the girls will love it!

This was when I set it up. I've added a hygrometer and mixed moisture sources.

6pmVogb.jpg

I am a firm believer in needing to raise my own mealworms as related to the price of dried ones. My husband and I were talking the other day and he informed me he would be using the mealworms when he goes fishing. I decided that I needed to order more mealworms toad to my farm. Exotic Nutrition was having a sale and I purchased 4,000 mealworms for $33.20. They usually sell for over $10.00 for a thousand mealworms. If you order the mealworms, DON'T order the giant ones as are usually sterile.

If you are interested in raising mealworms, now would be a good time to start.

Here are two areas to help start a mealworm farm:

Exotic Nutrition Pet Supply Company - They have mealworms and all the accessories that you could need to raise mealworms
How To Raise Mealworms - Gallo del Cielo written on January 11, 2012, and updated on September 25, 2014 on Backyard Chickens

In making my farm I used a ten gallon aquarium. My husband found an aquarium screen on Amazon that I keep on top to keep everyone in the aquarium. I have been keeping the farm covered with a towel as I keep it in my house and I don't want them to get too cold. I will try to add some pictures.
I know my chickens will need that extra protein... But that's just extremely disgusting for me alone... I hope I have someone who can do that for me... :(

I know my chickens will need that extra protein... But that's just extremely disgusting for me alone... I hope I have someone who can do that for me... :(

It's not disgusting. When you need to work in the aquarium just put on some latex gloves. I delegated a certain fork and spoon for use in tank and to remove mealworms for the ladies.

I've been raising them for years, and guess what I feed them? Styrofoam. Well lately I've added some really stale ramen noodles, but they lived for a long time on just styrofoam. May not be something you want to feed to your chickens, but your husband wouldn't care using them for fish bait. There's actually a scientific study on this that says they metabolize the styrofoam completely.

There are plenty of other sources of protein for chickens, if you don't want to deal with mealworms. They just happen to be convenient for some people to raise, and they're readily available for sale, so it's easy to get the first ones to start the colony.

I've been raising them for years, and guess what I feed them? Styrofoam. Well lately I've added some really stale ramen noodles, but they lived for a long time on just styrofoam. May not be something you want to feed to your chickens, but your husband wouldn't care using them for fish bait. There's actually a scientific study on this that says they metabolize the styrofoam completely.

Styrofoam? That's really interesting.
Has anyone studied chickens eating strofoam directly? I've seen plenty of anecdotes of chickens that did eat it, but never heard that it might have nutritional value.

Back
Top Bottom