Mealworms

SussexChicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 13, 2013
I am looking to buy some mealworms to give to my growing chicks as treats and would like to know where can I buy mealworms locally in the Houston area?

I cant comment on the live mealworms, but I did find dried mealworms at Lowes. They were next to the bird seed, bird houses, etc and were only about $9.00 for a large bag. I can tell you our chicks go nuts for them even though they are dried. Check this out as an option. Lots easier to keep dried mealworms than bothering with live ones.

I am looking to buy some mealworms to give to my growing chicks as treats and would like to know where can I buy mealworms locally in the Houston area?
try the Walley World. they have them in the sporting goods section. our local WM has them in a cooler next to the fishing and hunting section. meal worms, wax worms and red wigglers. just got some yesterday and boy to the girls love them. Happy Chicky Day.

Both live and dried are good, but in my opinion the live are better. They are both equal, but for some reason I prefer live. You can grow them in mulch outside if you order them online, and then have A TON. That's fun and my favorite! :)

I have been growing the ones I bought from WM, but I am intrigued about growing them outside.

crazy4chickens5, do you have any tips on outdoor mealworm growing?
Well, there's a lot to talk about! :) First of all, make sure to order mealworms that are not treated with hormone. These mealworms don't grow up to be beetles, which is obviously the only way more babies can be made! First, I usually get a plastic container and raise the mealworms on oatmeal. When about half of them are beetles, I release them outside. Usually I put them in a pile of used chicken shavings covering some type of decaying log. Then I put some more decaying logs around it. The mealworms then slowly make their own habitat and begin to thrive! The young mealworms also when they're outside love oats and wheat, so I usually start them out by setting them on top with oats to eat. Now any extra grain typed foods can go right in the pile (bread, uneaten oatmeal, etc)! In no time You'll have thousands of mealworms to harvest from!
-Kyle

Back
Top Bottom