Mean Baby Chick?!?!?

OkieB

Songster
Dec 9, 2017
I purchased 6 chicks from TSC yesterday. They are a mixture of breeds. The Welsummer is relentlessly pecking the other chicks eyes! I put her in her own tub last night with a stuffed animal. She did fine. But tried mixing her back in this morning and she did the exact same thing. Any suggestions?

Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Chicks aren't mean at that age... she must be pecking at something she sees, like grooming them? Or possibly the shininess of the eyes.

If you are able to make more of a time out cage inside the same box, that might work well. Or maybe give a little poke of distraction when it starts? Maybe painting or coloring some toilet paper rolls... the chicks REALLY like to peck at little polka dots! :p We even do paintings and hang inside the brooder. Colorful marbles and other enrichment activities might also help.

Are the other chicks squealing or responding in a way that seems as though it's hurting them? Or just annoying?

Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Chicks aren't mean at that age... she must be pecking at something she sees, like grooming them? Or possibly the shininess of the eyes.

If you are able to make more of a time out cage inside the same box, that might work well. Or maybe give a little poke of distraction when it starts? Maybe painting or coloring some toilet paper rolls... the chicks REALLY like to peck at little polka dots! :p We even do paintings and hang inside the brooder. Colorful marbles and other enrichment activities might also help.

Are the other chicks squealing or responding in a way that seems as though it's hurting them? Or just annoying?
Good information! Yes they squeal.

Squealing should let her know they don't like it. Even if it isn't intentional meanness, it still can be an issue. Injuries could happen. :( I would try a day time (out of sight) time out instead of night time when they are sleeping. I did have to do this once, though I'm sure it was a bit older. It was effective. And remember they are very young, so it doesn't have to be hours. I think I did 2 sessions, the first was 5 minute and the 2nd was 10-15. Some birds do end up being bullies, but we go with that label yet! :D

I love the dirt plug suggestion! :thumbsup

If they already are on shaving and know what their feed is, I love to bring a plug of grass/dirt. It gives them a little grit, a whole of entertainment/enrichment, and it helps them to build immunity to the microbes in your soil while they are still young with higher immunity.

Too right! And it gives the something to do besides chirp and irritate each other. Get them some grassy weedy clumps toss some goodies in the dirt pan I put some live mealworms they didn't eat them at first but huge distraction. Really a lifesaver if you've got a little bratty one. :)
Squealing should let her know they don't like it. Even if it isn't intentional meanness, it still can be an issue. Injuries could happen. :( I would try a day time (out of sight) time out instead of night time when they are sleeping. I did have to do this once, though I'm sure it was a bit older. It was effective. And remember they are very young, so it doesn't have to be hours. I think I did 2 sessions, the first was 5 minute and the 2nd was 10-15. Some birds do end up being bullies, but we go with that label yet! :D

I love the dirt plug suggestion! :thumbsup

If they already are on shaving and know what their feed is, I love to bring a plug of grass/dirt. It gives them a little grit, a whole of entertainment/enrichment, and it helps them to build immunity to the microbes in your soil while they are still young with higher immunity.

***Update***

A friend of mine recommended that I get another Welsummer, just like the little bully.

I'm glad to say that it was a total success. She hasn't pecked anyone's eye in 2 days now.

Back
Top Bottom