mean chicken

We have "humbled" our mean rooster by hobbling him. We put a zip tie on each leg and trimmed them (so it looks like a bracelet) and then tied a stout string on. He can walk but he can't run very fast. This has mellowed him out, but it might not help you with the pecking problem.

Almost as If she'd gotten into someones Prozac?

Have a RIR hen with a couple little ones in tow. Thought her aggression was coming from her concerns that her little ones got food. If I hand feed her she rips her beak across my entire cupped hand to knock the food on the floor and occasionally almost swallows the entire 1st digit of one of my fingers.

I was writing this behavior off to peer pressure as there's other hens with little ones in tow.

Shame you're actually being injured by her. Good luck with any adjustments you my use.
smile.png

My RIR is also the most aggessive of the group, she pecks at and chases my dog! She made me bleed yesterday during our after egg collection, treat feeding session, but I can't relly blame her. . . she just happened to upset a not quite healed blister on one of my fingers. She does peck at my feet when I come out into the yard (they free range), but only until she gets whatever treats I have brought, or has concluded that I have nothing this time. I am just totally captivated by the different personalities of my girls, and cannot imagine allowing a chicken to intimidate me! When I had geese and one of them got agressive, I became an expert at handling the situation. . . I guess I have so much animal training / handling experience (mostly dogs and horses) that this kind of thing has become instictive with me. . . never mean, but always firm and always always the "top dog". . . . The spay bottle trick is a good one with all sorts of domestic animals. . . it startles but does not hurt them, and they do learn that you have a way of discouraging them from unwanted behavior.

Thanks for all the ideas guys! I really like the water bottle thing. I feel like such a wuss letting a chicken intimidate me! But it seems everytime she pecks skin i bleed! It makes sense that she is taking the place of the rooster. I sort of see that protective behavior. The last time she bit me I had my hand on the back of another hen and she ran up and bit me. Makes sense.
Thanks again people! I dont know what I'd do without BYC
smile.png

That's interesting, my alpha hen is really, really sweet and likes to be held and patted the most out of all of them. She seems most comfortable in her skin so to speak.
wink.png

Quote:

Quote:
I thought gentle australorps would usually be at the bottom of the pecking order. Are yours black australorps? This is very interesting to me.

Sorry it took me a while to get back..... Yup... Black Australorps. Both are at the top of the pecking order, and are the most developed (biggest) so I wonder if that had something to do with it. They are so violent at times, that we have already pondered giving them away. ALL of our hens have obvious injuries from being bullied... its a little dis-heartening to see them look a little more tattered everyday.

Just thought I would comment because I have a RIR who behaves the same way although not all the time. She has made me bleed by pecking my hands and if I ever wear flip flops she gets my feet! I don't have any idea why she does this but it hurts! Most of the time I get mad and push her away, she then seems to get the message.

Help me out here, how do you know who is the alpha hen? I have 4 girls at the moment. Just re-homed my 2 roos last week. Very emotional for me and my kids, I will save that for another post.

Anywho, one of them snuck up and pecked the back of my leg when I was cleaning the coop yesterday. Even when she was a baby she hurt when she pecked your hand. If I go near her or try to pick her up, she goes into the submissive pose. After being attacked last week by one of my roos I am a little gun shy to pick her up...is it me or her? I know animals smell fear and honestly I will be dipped in !@#$ before I let one of my girls intimidate me....anyone?

Back
Top Bottom