mean chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gjoyner, Nov 10, 2009.

1. gjoyner

gjoyner Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a RIR who is just awful. she is so mean. she WAS the sweet nice one out of the three hens i have, but now she is just a jerk. she has made me bleed THREE times and only three becuase all the other times I get away. Whenever they are free ranging and i go into the run to clean she traps me and stands in front of the door and than pecks my toes, shins and calves. She sucks. today another hen was in that submission mode so i put my hand on her back and the RIR ran up and pecked me..and i dont mean peck I mean bite. she grabs and turns her head like shes trying to rip off some flesh! today she grabbed the skin on my knuckle and i pulled back and she was holding on so tight it took off some skin and her beaks made a SNAP noise when they closed shut from me pullnig away!
    What is the deal?? anyone had this problem? if so..waht did you do?

2. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is very interesting. (And sad, I am so sorry.)
    My mothers chicken (yes, I know, long story, but there is only one right now) started chasing her. I told her to chase it back and let her know who was the top hen. I haven't heard a report yet.
    I have a hen that has on occasion hen pecked my hand/arm when I was pet one of the other hens. I chase the offending hen around and catch her if I can. I don't catch her I do chase her quite a bit. This seems to have helped. It will be interesting to see what other have to say.

3. babyspice35

babyspice35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Maui Wowee
  4. gjoyner

I try to chase her away but she stand her ground than that makes me closer to her than she pecks me!
    she's a shifty one! and my best layer

5. gjoyner

Will that stuff work with Hens?

6. CheerfulHeart2

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Has anyone tried the rooster tips on a mean hen?

7. nursecat9

nursecat9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    No...but I'm glad you posted bc I have a couple roosters to tote around with me tomorrow!!! [​IMG]

8. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    One of my RIRs ( production reds) pecks at me when they are just settling into roost [​IMG] I give her a "smart", small whack on the chest and she turns around on the roost. Give me a break chicken!!

I don't put up with that business [​IMG]

9. okiecountrygirl

okiecountrygirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Hi All
    Just wanted to add my experience with "my Mean Hen" lol
    She was only aggressive during broody times or molting something with hormones I guess..Well to make the long story short I got very tired of dodging and jumping and running away so I carried a spray bottle of water to the coop with me for a few days and everytime she came at me I sprayed her with water Didnt take but 3 days of that and she ran away when I came in instead of attacking.
    Might try that see if it works for you..I turned the little nozzle valve open to more of a stream so I could get some distance and It worked great..I no longer have to watch my back,legs toes or any other part of my body..
    Good luck

10. CheerfulHeart2

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    What a great idea! Thank you for sharing it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by