Mean chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by moselys, Dec 17, 2012.

1. moselys

moselys Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2012
    Long story short we have one chicken and one duck left. Recently the chicken has been attacking the duck. Since we got the duck the chicken has chased her but recently the chicken started pecking at her and now is pecking hard enough to pull out feathers. We have had the chicken since April and this duck since September, but they have been together since we got the ducks. Unfortunately the other 5 chickens and 3 ducks have been killed. We finally have built a brand new coop for them and even fixed it so the birds are separated but can still see each other. We do plan on getting new birds in the spring but are afraid the chicken will hurt them. Is my chicken just mean or could there be something else going on? She has never pecked at any of us humans and actually wants attention from us when we go out to the coop. I let both birds out in to the run all day long and only lock them up at night. Any helpful suggestions?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    It may just be an inter personality problem. The chicken wanting the duck to act like a chicken or some such thing. Without other chickens to interact with she wants to boss somebody around and be the top of the pecking order, and the duck doesn't want to. There is now way of telling how she will behave with the new comers in the spring, chances are good that she will be alright with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by