Mean Ducks?

I just found out they are two girls!!! Thank you for the advice! The separating does help!! Also giving her more foods to chase and work to eat has helped too.

My runners are chasing my dogs and cat! I worry about it. I have a very large yellow lab mix, border collie and Chihuahua and the ducks go after all of them. I had a black lab that they loved to cuddle with, but we had to put her to sleep as she became very sick. Maybe they knew and wanted to comfort her? But I worry that one of my dogs will attack back. They have been very patient and are used to being around chickens, but the chickens don't attack! I am glad to know they may mellow out. They are about 3 months old.

I having a similar issue with my duck. He is a year and some odd months old and has been with the same group of chickens for his whole life (my friend didn't want him), I have never had any issues, he is a drake, and now he is chasing my little silkie and plucking all her feathers off. He is not trying to mount her I have watched intently for this as I knowit can be an issue. What should I do? Separate him? Move her to be by herself?

Ducks are bullies. Be it weaker flock mates, other birds or animals in general, ducks like to boss them around when they are the stronger ones. Mine chase around the little songbirds that come visiting, I once had a drake who attacked crows.
My runners are chasing my dogs and cat! I worry about it. I have a very large yellow lab mix, border collie and Chihuahua and the ducks go after all of them. I had a black lab that they loved to cuddle with, but we had to put her to sleep as she became very sick. Maybe they knew and wanted to comfort her? But I worry that one of my dogs will attack back. They have been very patient and are used to being around chickens, but the chickens don't attack! I am glad to know they may mellow out. They are about 3 months old.

Usually, ducks would be suspicious of dogs, but yours have learned that dogs are not a threat, so they try to establish their dominance. As long as the dogs don't care, nothing is likely to happen. If you do not have that much confidence in your dogs, you might seperate the ducks from the dogs.
I having a similar issue with my duck. He is a year and some odd months old and has been with the same group of chickens for his whole life (my friend didn't want him), I have never had any issues, he is a drake, and now he is chasing my little silkie and plucking all her feathers off. He is not trying to mount her I have watched intently for this as I knowit can be an issue. What should I do? Separate him? Move her to be by herself?

Again, seperation is the first option. The fact that he has no proper conspecifics, which is less than a good arrangement for him, might cause him to aim any rivalty at the silkie chicken.

Back
Top Bottom