"Mean Girl"... Turned into a ROO!!!

Really, our BR pullets have always bloomed out like that. They are usually the first to lay as well... 🤷‍♀️
I think the BR is a male....at 8 weeks a pullet wouldn't have that much red wattle.
1651842029743.png

Really, our BR pullets have always bloomed out like that

Barred Rocks are one of the breeds where pullets get large combs early,
Well, I've never had BR's.....but I was going more by the wattles and the color(ETA of wattles and comb), and my experience with the large, single combed birds I've had.

Last edited:
So, everyone thinks this might be a pullet? This is the one originally marked as a Roo. And he/she was the smallest of the brood. There is a slight waddle popping out. Being unfamiliar with Brahmas, I didn't know if hens will have them as well. I know they do in my Barred Rocks.
Light Brahma hens should eventually have wattles too, but smaller ones than hens of most other breeds.

Barred Rock cockerels are generally much lighter than the pullets so just going by coloring, I would guess pullet.
I wasn’t going to chime in, but now I will. When I saw that photo of the barred rock, my first thought was cockerel. It seemed like it had more whiter stripes than a pullet, and combined with the comb and wattles, I thought boy. But seeing that everyone else was saying pullet, I decided to just keep quiet. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom