Mean hen! Hurting other hens!

Unfortunately, we never may understand the pecking order of the animal world. A couple of months ago we had a sweet, docile hen who was raised with six of her sisters suddenly become the target of one of her sisters. She would relentlessly peck at her, chase her away from the food, and act like she could not stand to see her. After about a week of this behavior, the other sisters began the attack. We removed the victimized hen and medicated her wounds and let her roam freely around the barn.

After about two weeks, with all wounds healed, we reintroduced her back into the flock. All of her sisters didn't bother her, but she began to panick and scream and jump up and down and would not calm down until we removed her. Now, she roams freely and thinks she is a dog, following us around and acting like she owns the place! She is now an official SPOILED HEN!!

May I also ask for help! What to do with My hen that hates other hens? This is what happened I have very loving chickens besides my Easter chicken she is 1 years old. She tried to kill my 3 buffs hens and my black star hen that are 16 weeks old going on 17 weeks old. I really don't no why the buffs and black star and Easter chicken all came from same place where this guy sold them to me. The guy would not tell me why he was selling the 1 year old hen! I thought he just had to many chickens. The Easter hen is nice to people but not other chickens. I might have to just find her a home maybe. I just wanted to be able to have eggs while waiting for my others to lay. I have never seen a hen so made before and she acted like a huge mean turkey gone mad pecking and pulling out feathers and scratching and driving at the girls. The Easter hen puffed her chest out and ruffled all her feathers out and started attacking all of my buffs and black star. They were screaming in fear and jumped onto me asking me to take them out of there. My poor girls were so scared. I felt so bad and wanted to cry that she wanted to hurt them so bad. I was told by everyone to let them try them together and see how they act with each other and that they may peck a little at first and be done but is was nothing like that sort she wanted them dead. So my Easter hen is back in her own coop all by herself again. She won this fight I guess.What should I do? Get rid of her I can't have her think she can have that whole coop building to herself. My coop has 2 sides to it. Baby's On the other side with the buffs and black star. I just wanted to put the buffs and black star with the 1 year old hen because they are going to start laying in soon as well and get used to that side of the coop. Any ideas would be great please!!!!!!!
idunno.gif

Personally....you may not want to hear this...but I would cull any problem chicken. If my hens or roosters attack me or relentlessly pick on the rest of flock...I will do what I have to do to protect the rest of my investment.

Back
Top Bottom