mean hen

Rwest

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 1, 2012
I have 10 hens, 5 RR, 3 Buff operingtons, and 2 Buff Bramas. 9 are very friendly, never aggressive, but 1 RR trys to attack me every time I go in there run. Even when taking in treats and such. Is this normal? I've raised them from 1 day old and never done anything to any of them that would make them scared of me.

I had an aggressive hen. Well I still have her but she is fine now because of all the things i have tried to do to break her. Like.....
Take treats in and reach my hand out to pet her and give her the treat as I go to pet her. Also if you spend a lot of time with her, like holding her and petting her. Giving her treats sitting her down in the grass and just talking to her and petting her while feeding her.
WARNING: During this time don't hold her to close to your eyes. She will think there food, and because she is aggressive she will peck them.

I HOPE THIS WORKS FOR YOU!
fl.gif

Do you have a roo? Without a roo one of the hens usually takes over that alpha dog role and I think she has decided to be your boss too. I would try to make friends with her with treats but at the same time be aggressive back. If she pecks you, peck her back. Poke her with two fingers. Stand your ground and step into her space. Then you can be the rooster.

No roo. They are a little over 6 months old. No she is not the alpha, one of the buff orphingtons is the alpha with out question. Today I picked her up and toted her around for about 30 min and feed her out of my hand some meal worms with the hopes it will work. I really am enjoying my chicks and there eggs so mabe she will calm down with a little more TLC. Only time will tell.

All 10 are laying and have been for a while. This morning she only pecked at my boot so mabe all I need to do is continue showing her a little extra attention each day.

Back
Top Bottom