Who is the boss with hens too?

Betty crocker bear

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2023
My hens (Buff, Barred) and 1 RIR are approaching 18 weeks. The last two days my RIR, who is normally friendly has shown aggressive behavior! She comes after me when I’m feeding them in the morning. It is territorial. I’m wondering if it’s a rooster that hasn’t matured? “She” has dark tail feather, is really vocal and has red combs and wattles. I will wait and see BUT I’m wondering if she’s just mean now and I have to cull.
I got rid of all of my other RIR in the beginning because they were all mean to each other but never to me.
Do I establish alpha with even the hens?

Attachments

• IMG_4824.jpeg
    IMG_4824.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
If you could give us a close up picture of the aggressive "hen", standing upright in natural lighting, side view and front view, we can help you figure out if you have a roo. 18 weeks is definitely old enough to tell.

Crossing fingers for you.

Attachments

• IMG_5829.jpeg
    IMG_5829.jpeg
    736.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5830.jpeg
    IMG_5830.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5831.jpeg
    IMG_5831.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5833.jpeg
    IMG_5833.jpeg
    745.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5832.jpeg
    IMG_5832.jpeg
    870.8 KB · Views: 22
Do I establish alpha with even the hens?
She is gorgeous.. I might not go as far as to use alpha theory even with a rooster since I'm not part of the pecking order.. but everyone needs boundaries. I have pecked a bird back and such.

What is aggressive behavior? Is she trying to get the food from you, flogging you, biting your legs??

Maybe she's food crazed from being close to laying?

Those dark tail feathers are part of the pattern. But the gender specific feathers starting around 12 weeks and well showing by the stated age are rounded and female.. examples from google..
1692755550123.png

1692755568211.png

I agree with both of the previous comments. That looks like a pullet/ female that’s getting close to hen status. And just like cockerels get weird as they mature, so do some pullets.

I’ve had, (I’m sure we all have), chicks that were hand tamed and totally fine, then went crazy for a couple months.

Give her some time and I bet she comes back around.

getting close to hen status.
Not until one year old will she be called a hen.

The pecking order is fluid, and it can change.
It rolls down hill.
Just make sure they have plenty of space to get away far enough to be deemed submissive.
Spread treats far and wide so everyone gets a chance.

She is gorgeous.. I might not go as far as to use alpha theory even with a rooster since I'm not part of the pecking order.. but everyone needs boundaries. I have pecked a bird back and such.

What is aggressive behavior? Is she trying to get the food from you, flogging you, biting your legs??

Maybe she's food crazed from being close to laying?

Those dark tail feathers are part of the pattern. But the gender specific feathers starting around 12 weeks and well showing by the stated age are rounded and female.. examples from google..
View attachment 3617003
View attachment 3617004
She pecked at my foot. Aggressive in the morning. Maybe they’re hungry. They have pecked at their feed. I mixed in pellets and they don’t really like them. They could be hangry. Thank you so much for your time answering my questions!

Back
Top Bottom