Mean new goose?

Gigi1147

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 27, 2013
Napa, CA
Hi okay so i have two male Chinese Swan Geese and we decided to get them a female. Last night we got a female Toulouse. On the car ride home she was very nice and everything. We introduced her to the two males this morning and instantely turned into a little devil goose. Hissing at all humans. Biting like crazy. Leaving bruises. Will her behavior get better or continue to be this way?

Hi okay so i have two male Chinese Swan Geese and we decided to get them a female. Last night we got a female Toulouse. On the car ride home she was very nice and everything. We introduced her to the two males this morning and instantely turned into a little devil goose. Hissing at all humans. Biting like crazy. Leaving bruises. Will her behavior get better or continue to be this way?
I'm sure she is very disoriented right now, you don't say how old she is? and How is she getting close enough to bite and leave bruises? I wouldn't try and pet and hold her yet, especially if she isn't use to it, it's probably freaking her out since most geese don't like to be touched or held. Give her time to get use to her new home, spend time out with all 3 just being there doing chores or what ever but don't let her come to close if she is trying to bite. You can use a long pole and keep it between you and her, once she is settled most likely she'll settle down, My Toulouse has never offered to bite me but she does not like for me to touch her or hold her but she will eat out of the pot I hold in my hand with their whole corn and meal worms in it. You may have opened up a can of worms too getting only 1 goose for your 2 ganders.

Is she human imprinted?

Her origional owner said shes about a year old and that she raised her by hand. I let her roam with my other geese and let them swim in the pond and they get along great and have already mated. She seems a little more comfortable knowing shes not stuck in a little fenced in area like we had her for the morning.

Her origional owner said shes about a year old and that she raised her by hand. I let her roam with my other geese and let them swim in the pond and they get along great and have already mated. She seems a little more comfortable knowing shes not stuck in a little fenced in area like we had her for the morning.
That´ll be the problem, then. She´ll get there, though. I hope you don´t get fights between your males, though. sometimes they´re fine.
Enjoy your geese!
big_smile.png

You may have opened up a can of worms too getting only 1 goose for your 2 ganders.
x2.

Male geese usually don't fight much, even during breeding season, when there are no females around to fight over. And out of breeding season they'll probably get along very well in their group of three. But come Spring it's highly likely one of them will bond with the female and defend her viciously against the other one. Please consider getting one more female before Spring.

x2.

Male geese usually don't fight much, even during breeding season, when there are no females around to fight over. And out of breeding season they'll probably get along very well in their group of three. But come Spring it's highly likely one of them will bond with the female and defend her viciously against the other one. Please consider getting one more female before Spring.
Although it´s by far the better thing to do, getting another goose, I have to say that sometimes brothers work a little differently....just sometimes. I´ve had two lots of bros after one goose this year, without any fights at all. They seem to have sorted themselves out with the hierarchy thing by 'mating' each other in the pool. Now one of the geese is sitting, the two just swan around together. The other two males sorted themselves out once the goslings arrived...one went off and some goslings that needed a 'daddy', and now the two geese with their goslings and the two ganders have formed a mini-flock, all without a fight. Very interesting to observe them.

Although it´s by far the better thing to do, getting another goose, I have to say that sometimes brothers work a little differently....just sometimes. I´ve had two lots of bros after one goose this year, without any fights at all. They seem to have sorted themselves out with the hierarchy thing by 'mating' each other in the pool. Now one of the geese is sitting, the two just swan around together. The other two males sorted themselves out once the goslings arrived...one went off and some goslings that needed a 'daddy', and now the two geese with their goslings and the two ganders have formed a mini-flock, all without a fight. Very interesting to observe them.
I think it also depends on breed of geese, I don't think my Embden gander would tolerate another gander moving in on Missy since I observed him with the drakes here. You have very docile ganders livin. I envy you.

I think it also depends on breed of geese, I don't think my Embden gander would tolerate another gander moving in on Missy since I observed him with the drakes here. You have very docile ganders livin. I envy you.
Haha, they´re as soft as cottage cheese. Pilgrims and Pilgrim-crosses.
I don´t know how chinese are with each other really, but it seems they´re doing ok so far....
Wouldn´t it be nice if she could get a different breed goose to go with the other gander, then there´d be a greater variety with the babies.

Chinese can have (which is funny) a best male friend and his own female which usually they both share odd enough,they don't fight eachother because they are best pals since birth and there are so many males to fight at my area so they stick together (they are 3 years old) and this year i hatched 3 BuffAfrican/whiteChineseXBuffAfrican ganders (one i thought was female but wasn't :( ) so lets see how they will get on in a trio of males :E
A tip:In a big flock of different breeds of geese the swan type usually start breeding season and always start fights ;)

Back
Top Bottom