Mean Quail

Byrdj

Songster
Dec 7, 2008
Commerce, GA
Go figure. I thought only Bobs were mean like this. I put a new coturnix roo in with three hens and one hen constantly pecked the roo until he was missing feathers but no blood. I removed the mean hen and isolated her for two weeks. Today I put her back with him and the other tow hens in a GQF breeder pen. I went back three hours later and the roo had just about pecked the mean hen's head to the point where i don't know if she is going to make it. I guess paybacks are a grump. Any other explaination to that? I think I'll stick to keeping my quail together from the hatch instead of mixing in new adults. Keeping all my layers for a year, and then put them in the freezer when my new batch starts laying and repeat process. Is that the norm to maximize egg and meat production while reducing pecking and meaness towards each other?

Thanks, I knew to do that and that's why I was surprised. I put all four in a new cage. A GQF #0303 breeding pen. I've decided that I just have a mean roo. Today he was being overly aggressive and pecking the other two hens so I put him on death row in a section by himself. He will remain there until a replacement (due to hatch Saturday) is old enough to take his place.

Quote:
Just because the roo may be mean now doesn't mean he won't change. I would keep him in a cage by himself and see if he maybe changes you never know. Then try to put him with the hens to see how he reacts.

Even keeping them together from hatch doesn't help. I have 5 pens, not a one of them doesn't have a pecked up bird in it. I am slowly culling most of the roos.

Quote:
Thanks Becky. I don't feel so bad now. Are you culling your roos because you have too many, or just culling the mean ones? What roo to hen ratio works best for you?

Quote:
That will teach him!

I found that coturnix quail are amazingly resilient. I was so sure that my beaten up hen was going to die and be blind in both eyes that I had a pair of shears to her neck and about to put her in the freezer. At the last second, I decided to give her another day to see how she does. Amazingly, she is going to make a full recovery.

They Are Tough Lil Boogers Arent They?
smile.png
Heal Quick Too!

Quote:
That will teach him!

I found that coturnix quail are amazingly resilient. I was so sure that my beaten up hen was going to die and be blind in both eyes that I had a pair of shears to her neck and about to put her in the freezer. At the last second, I decided to give her another day to see how she does. Amazingly, she is going to make a full recovery.

even her little eyes? wow. poor little thing..surely you can't eat her now..she will live for 9 years like JJ's dinosaur hen lol

Back
Top Bottom