Mean roo.. any tips??

Going after your kids?!?!?

only ONE solution: remove from the premises. Butcher or sell or give away.

young kids are at EYE level with a male chicken, theycould be injured or blinded in the face. In addition, they will have negative memories of chickens, not positive. Usually when someone hates or is afraid of chickens it has to do with a negative experience with a male chicken.

no Rehab for this bad boy. Eviction only.

Btw, we have males, and we’ve dealt with aggressive males. We’ve even tolerated an aggressive male (that we learned to deal with in an effective manner) until we had another male old enough to take over, then got rid of that one. But, we don’t have little kids.

Going after your kids?!?!?

only ONE solution: remove from the premises. Butcher or sell or give away.

young kids are at EYE level with a male chicken, theycould be injured or blinded in the face. In addition, they will have negative memories of chickens, not positive. Usually when someone hates or is afraid of chickens it has to do with a negative experience with a male chicken.

no Rehab for this bad boy. Eviction only.
Thanks I'm going to be talking to a customer of mine tonight to try and get him to take him. I've been thinking on getting him out but when he's not being an ass he's great with the girls. But it's better for my kids for him to go. Will I need to pen my girls or anything once he goes? Will it affect them at all?

Thanks I'm going to be talking to a customer of mine tonight to try and get him to take him. I've been thinking on getting him out but when he's not being an ass he's great with the girls. But it's better for my kids for him to go. Will I need to pen my girls or anything once he goes? Will it affect them at all?

they will notice he’s gone and may act a bit different for a few days, but should be ok Overall. Usually dominant hen takes over as flock leader and will sound warnings, etc.

Oh okay. I've had a few different roos. My favorite were my barred rocks. Even having too many roosters (unknowingly at the time) they were all very calm and polite with us and their girls and never gave any issues at all with aggressiveness toward each other or anyone else. I've never had a buff roo so his behavior is appalling to me. As a youngster my uncle had well over 300 birds and tons of roos all different breeds but I was always out with them and never saw a mean one. He didn't have any buffs tho. This guy might have to go to a friend who culls. We try not to unless absolutely needed.

Agression in cockerels depends both on the individual and breed. Buff Orpingtons are a generally calm breed, however the breed is only half the story. I have some 400 chickens, including many roosters, once in a blue moon a rooster may show agression then I pin him to the ground and rub his beak in the dirt a couple of times. I repeat this process a few times and if this doesn't work he is invited as a special guest to the dinner.

It will affect the pecking order. They will be more vulnerable to predators, specially arial predators.

Agression in cockerels depends both on the individual and breed. Buff Orpingtons are a generally calm breed, however the breed is only half the story. I have some 400 chickens, including many roosters, once in a blue moon a rooster may show agression then I pin him to the ground and rub his beak in the dirt a couple of times. I repeat this process a few times and if this doesn't work he is invited as a special guest to the dinner.
Okay. I'll try and see if we can try that a few times. Where we live I let my kids play outside while I cook or something and check on them every few. Lately I don't let them unless I'm out with them bc of him. I'll talk to hubby and see what he wants to do. I'd prefer roo to go but we'll see. My husband was saying he wants to pen them up again.

Roosters really can't save your hens from predators other than getting eaten first when it comes to foxes, raccoons, coyotes etc....But defiantly pen him up away from the children because they are dangerous to tender eyes and faces and not worth the risk.

Back
Top Bottom