mean roo - how do I kill him?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Montana cluckers, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Montana cluckers

Montana cluckers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    [​IMG] how to I humanely kill my roo? I don't really want to, but he's getting too mean and we have 7 other roos. I'm not sure I can eat him after raising him from a chick. I feel guilty, guess I shouldn't have made him a pet.[​IMG]

2. cjdmashley

cjdmashley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Vermont
    we find using the cones for everyone is the best way. slice the neck and within 5-7 seconds they are gone. Minimal thrashing in the cone as well. we used just road cones. and honestly if you can get past the killing and pluck fast it's just another chicken. let it rest, throw in freezer and it will be just another chicken in there.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If you can't eat him, then give him away to someone who can.

If you truly want to send him to the great freezer in the sky, check out the meat bird section. It details different methods to quickly and humanely kill them. (we use the off with the head approach) I'm not going to lie to you and tell you it's easy, the first time was awful for me, but I got through it and so will you.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

You can offer him for free on Craigs List and let someone else do the deed and enjoy the meat....

5. kellswan

kellswan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Massachusetts
    how mean is he? have you tried showing him whos boss? is there anyone you could give him to? i've seen roosters go up fpr adoption through the humane society

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by