Mean Roo

Happycowdog

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Tipp City, Ohio
My chickens are 17 weeks. I ordered two brahma hens and one easter egger hen. These are my first chickens! Anyway, the EE turned out to be a roo named Sunny. He was sweet at first, then he attacked my cattledog named Jack. He actually chased him down! I kind of dismissed it, a little, although I did get the chickens for him too because I figured he needed a job. I have been keeping Jack away so he doesn't get too afraid of the chickens. He doesn't want to take any "stuff" from Sunny though, and I was afraid of an accident. So with that, the first nail went in the ummm, let's say coop.

Then my brother-in-law came over and Sonny chased and attacked his leg. I wanted to think that since Larry was a stranger, that was why he did it. Now, Sunny likes to walk behind me and pinch my leg. Today, he walked along side of me staring at me. When I stopped and looked dead-on at him and asked him what the heck he though he was doing, the feathers on his neck puffed out and he grabbed my pant leg! Nail number 2.

I just watched tonight as he attacked my sweetheart of a petite little brahma by grabbing her wing and making her cry really loud. That ticked me off right there. Then I watched about 1/2 hour later as he grabbed her again! Nail number 3; 4 nails is the magic number.

My hens aren't even laying yet. I don't want her to feel uncomfortable in her own yard. Sunny likes the other "fatter" brahma and he won't attack her. Funny how she isn't as friendly as the other petite hen. Of course now that my favorite hen is being attacked, I have to ask, should the roo be gone? My husband says he likes Sunny, that we should give him a chance, but if needed, he would do the "deed."

What do you think? Should I find him a new home? I want more hens, do you think he would become less aggressive with a couple more hens? Should he go in the chicken pot? He is a beautiful roo! He was sitting on my lap, snuggling with me only a month ago!

Last edited:
It'll probably only get worse with age. I'm going to guess by December he'll be full blown attacking you, unless you severely train him. IMHO, I'd make him into soup. I have zero tolerance for mean roosters, and I hate to breed that into my flock...

LOL! Wow. I didn't think I would be ready for this yet; but shoot, I want hens, I got a roo and kept him on reluctantly. I was hoping he wouldn't be a problem. I had a mean roo when I was 14. We got him from the school. My mom sent him to another farm after he attacked my little 4 yr. old brother and drew blood in his leg. We never experienced processing our own animals, but I am all for it. I won't have any rooster attacking people here. I am expecting my first a grandchild here in June too. I have never done this before and I don't know how I will do after this. I will probably enjoy my chicken and dumplings, but I'm just sayin'.

I have the same problem, but knew this would happen. I got an accidental roo too, and he used to be really friendly, but now that the girls are laying, and as he grows, he's getting meaner and meaner and it DOES get worse. I now have to carry a bamboo stick into the coop to get eggs because he will attack me. Makes me sad, but I need to find him a new home. Eating him is not an option for me, but he is a Silkie, so there has to be someone out there who will want him. I'm thinking of posting some local flyers at the feed store, etc.

The world is full of extra roos, many of them mean. Above all don't breed him. The freezer is something we all have to learn to live with, whether we planned to or not. Shouldn't be that hard to find someone who will process and eat for free. Not around here anyway.

I tend to agree with not breeding an aggressive roo. I am no expert by any means and am experiencing chickens for the first time.

I have 4 roos and the only ones that are pesky and irritating are my little Silver Sebrights. All it takes to get them to back off is offer them some crackers. Show them food and they're your friends for life. Or at least until the next time that you don't have any food for them.

GRITSAR'S Rooster Reform System

Read this post at the top of this forum.....all about the aggressive roo

Quote:
Raising chickens goes along with some nasty tasks. Life is full of disapointments that's for sure. I was expecting three hens and what luck to have ordered my first three and one of them turns out to be a roo, a mean one at that! I knew that eventually I wanted to raise chickens for meat as well. I just wasn't ready for that yet. Feels like God is throwing me a whole lot all of a sudden, this roo situation among other things not even related, which is okay. These kind of stresses I need to harden me up. I just may process and feed my own family for free. Maybe even do it myself.

Back
Top Bottom