Mean rooster, had to cull. Warning to others with kids

Firefighter Chick

Songster
8 Years
May 8, 2011
Southeast Minnesota
I have been dealing with a rooster that has been good to his flock, protective and attentive to his girls, but aweful towards people. Last night was the last straw. My kids, ages 2 and almost 4, were out playing with the chicks and feeding the flock. Maynard, the roo, was out running around like normal ignoring us. I turned my back and he snuck up and kicked my two year old in the face. We were lucky he didn't take out my son's eye. My son got two black eyes and some scratches on his head. First off, I feel aweful that I didn't see it coming. Second, I should have seen this day coming and did something about it sooner. After checking on my son who was obviously terrified, I decided to cull. This was VERY trial and error. Lets just say that next time i will use an ax. I hope some mothers out there learn from my mistake. I'm pretty shook up over this and went to bed with a stomach ache. Thanks for your support. My little guy is doing well today, just bruised up.

Try not to beat yourself up. He was good up until then. I imagine that chickens are just like people--different personalities, and maybe he was just having a bad day. But I think you made the right decision. Before I got married, my husband-to-be at the time had a dog. I had 3 chickens I was moving to his house (700 miles away--moved from Chicago to marry a farmer!!!). All went well for a couple months. Then, his dog killed my chicken. My husband-to-be shot his dog dead over it, and I cried all weekend--over the chicken. I knew I'd gotten a quality guy who would do such a thing to keep me happy,--and also, to keep the farm operating with chickens--because once a dog tastes blood from its own kill, it will kill again.

Anyway, I hope your son is doing better and that he realizes it was probably just a freak thing.

Thank-you for sharing. I am still in the lurking phase, trying to learn everything I can. We will probably free range, so having a rooster to protect the flock is tempting. Stories like yours have convinced me to hold off on including a rooster. My three girls are under 10.

I had a rooster that was getting a bit rough with our hens, but I was trying to endure the crazed teen phase and let him grow up to be nice roo. (He was a very nice EE) He never bothered me when I went in the pen. He jumped at my MIL once or twice. He was rehomed after he jumped up and kicked my 3 year old son in the butt. We warned the people getting him that he as an agressive roo and had attacked people. I didn't have the heart to cull him myself. When I put the roo on the internet I listed that he would make a great addition to someone's dinner table. BUT, if he had actually hurt my child...I would have taken care of him now questions asked!

You made the right choice!

I am so sorry this happened to your family! I feel aweful when my 17 month old daughter get scratched by our kitten so I can only imagine what a rooster attack would feel like. :(
I decided to keep a roo but your story is definitely going to make me think it over. I have the most beautiful roo that I just love but maybe the best choice is rehoming him. My daughter loves to feed the chickens. I would hate for her to get hurt.
I would love to hear from others with roosters and young children. I guess I hadn't put enough consideration into this.

Last edited:
I think I was in denial. There were near miss attacks before. I kept picking him up and trying to tame him. He wouldn't (for the most part) try to kick me because I would go after him if he did. My kids were terrified and froze in their tracks. I'm sure there are family friendly roos out there. I wouldn't totally give up not having a roo. I'm sure mine was just one of the bad ones. We have a two month old EE roo that we have been raising with some other chicks and I'm hoping to keep him. He was always the friendliest chick from the get-go. I picked him up today and sat with him and he snuggled with me and my two year old. I'm hoping to do this on a daily basis to get him used to us. That in itself was a big step since my two year old now screams even at the three week old chicks. Poor little guy. Little steps at a time.

Hope the little guy gets well physically and over his fear of chickens. He is young so he should be just fine. You did absolutely the right thing. I am a very laid back guy but one thing I will not tolerate is any animal that "bites the hand that feeds it". Off to freezer camp real quick.
I will be 50 in July and if I had a dollar for every rooster that went to freezer camp before their time because of aggressivness I would probably have about $100.
I will say over my years the Buff Orpington roos seem to be the most docile.

Back
Top Bottom