Mean Rooster

Vermontchicken

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 3, 2007
does anyone have a suggestion for a mean rooster? he is a bantam and he is just the meanest thing he attacks my hens all the time when i bought him he came with 2 hens of his own but he doesn't even seem to like them now he is a beautiful bird but he just wont stop pulling there feathers out and trying to spur them please help!!

We had 2 Frizziles that were the sweetest things when they were babies. We thought they were hens because they were so sweet. When they came of age they turned into Tazmanian devils. They had everyone on edge. They even started attacking us. This was all after being hand fed and held everyday.
So, after this went on for a few weeks we just put them down. There was an immediate calmness throughout the flock.

Good Luck

Well, there are a lot of things you COULD try (ie, showing you are the boss, etc) but when my rooster "went bad" there was nothing successful. The third time he bloodied me, let's just say, he went on a nice long "vacation." I was not about to live a life where I couldn't go out in my yard without a broom in my hand to whack him away from attacking me.

I wouldn't keep an aggressive rooster. I have a friend who takes any extra roosters, or aggressive ones - and feeds them to his family - I'll keep any that are friendly, but none that crow in the middle of the night, or are mean to me or the hens.

molly

Boy! I sure hate those that get their internal alarm clocks off timing! I have had some that start crowing at 12:00 midnight and end up crowing all night!!!! They have to go!!!!!!! Molly, I know exactly what you mean.

Back
Top Bottom