Mean Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sarahbeth003, Nov 9, 2014.

1. sarahbeth003

sarahbeth003 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2014
    Colorado
    My rooster just started being very mean to me and anyone else. He will chase and peck at us. He is very protective of the hens. He was born on Easter of this year. And I was just wondering if there is anything I can do, because I don't like being charged every time I turn my back :/

2. luckysaysgo

luckysaysgo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2014
    He gets made into soup or given to someone with a big free ranging area where his skills might be more appropriate. Then ask around and find a free nice rooster. I have a couple if you're in ca.

3. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Sometimes mean genetics come through and there's nothing one can do but move on.

BUT, if you truly want to TRY to rehabilitate your rooster, there are a few behavioral changes that will need to happen. First, keep small children away from him, and watch for things that will trigger his protective behavior. I mean, is your boy scared of the broom, the dog, kids yelling at each other, etc.?

You say that he will chase and peck at all of you. Okay...now advice for you... With any rooster, he needs to know we are in control, and he is not the boss of us. We are certainly their flock leader, so no more letting the rooster chase anyone anymore. That will require everyone to stop being afraid of the rooster, and to ALWAYS act calm, cool and confidentally, no matter how he tests you.

Long ago, we had a young cockerel who was a wrist biter, so I ignored his bad behavior and gave him more attention. Some people use other tactics like pushing their head in the ground- really haven't found that do anything than make them more fearful and distrusting. Eventually, he realized this didn't faze us at all, or get anywhere, so he stopped doing it, and over time, eventually became shyly friendly. We watched him anyway, but the wrist biting seemed more like a teen testing phase.

If you need to wear long pants and long jackets, so be it, but you have to be confident, and never fear him. I'm not saying to turn your back on him, but get over the fear of being pecked. Pick him up, talk softly to him and carry him around. I always make sure they are calm before being put down. I do not feed them while holding them (makes them too excited). And speak to them in very soft but confident tones, and they have to stop fussing to listen to what is being said. One thing I say over and again is, "Shhh, it's okay..." If I ever say this, any upset bird learns to relax quickly. I condition them with this early on, just in case something happens and I need them to get calm quickly.

We have at least 50 roosters these days (and appropriate amount of hens) and all are "balanced," so I believe this works for us. Meaning, we can easily scoop a rooster up, and they act calm. When we put them down, they walk cleanly away from us (with no fake "tidbitting" or, wing dancing).

Walking away is a good sign of balanced behavior. Many of the older roosters were hatchery RIR (often known for aggression), and old, wild, or unsocialized roosters from different sources- and all of these are nice boys (with varying degrees of friendliness). We do socialize with them daily. If he is at all important to you, then it may be worthy to try. Otherwise, you will just need to get a different rooster, and may have the same problem if he things you are nervous around him.

Best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by