mean rooster

NeeCee51

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 12, 2013
My rooster from time to time likes to attack my lower leg and boots. He is a good rooster for the hens, very protective and I am wondering if that's the reason he is acting like this. Today it is very wet out. It has been raining all day so when the rain let up I let them out to free range. It started to rain again so I went to shoo them back in the run and the rooster did not want to go. He kept running at me so I had to get the rooster stick to keep him back. I would love to catch him and have a very stern talk but I don't think he would listen. Any thoughts on trying to break him of this? He is a little over a year old..Thanks

In my opinion a human aggressive rooster is not worth keeping, there are plenty of protective roosters that do not behave this way. If you are hatching chicks from him you could be passing on this temperament which is not a good thing.
As far as I know there is not a way to (please correct me if I'm wrong!) stop this behavior. My advice would be to either have a chicken dinner, or sell him and get a new rooster. ;)

Sounds like typical rooster behavior. I wouldn't butcher him just yet. I have a Speckled Sussex rooster (Sue). We have raised him from a chick. He also is a great rooster for the hens and is very protective. One day, he flogged my leg. Next day, same thing. That day, I put him in a large dog crate, by himself for 2 weeks. He could see the others, but was caged up for 2 weeks. It "reset" his attitude.

Your rooster was only reacting this way because you were trying to make them all do something out of the ordinary. I have had several roosters and have only HAD to butcher one due to aggression. He was literally beating up my hens and other roosters and had drawn blood from more than one chicken. He was gorgeous, but I could not breed him or use him in the flock. It doesn't sound like your rooster is that aggressive.

Thanks for all the information. I did threaten him with rooster stew but I might try the dog crate if he keeps it up. Thanks again...

do not take a swing at him or u will get my experience. he will become so mean that u will have to sell him. just carry the stick and move him with your foot, and if he starts flying up and trying to spur u then u can use the stick. good luck!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom