Mean silkie rooster

silkie3190

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 14, 2016
Hi people new to raising chickens this is our first go around . We raised these silkies from chicks have 6 they are about 17 weeks I know we have two Roos . One of them which is the one in charge is always grabbing at the feathers or the other birds but let's go with in 5 to 10 seconds is that normal ? Also the last couple of days he's been grabbing at the neck of my other Roo kinda holds on for a while my other Roo screeches and tries to pull away seems like he gets flipped around I need to step in and break it up . Is that normal behavior ? He also comes after me when I pick up the other birds is this normal please help . Attached a pic of him

Cockrels will spar to establish 'who's on first', and that's normal. HOWEVER, and boy who challenges you needs to go. You should be walking 'through' your cockrels out there; they should both avoid getting in your way at all times. If one of them goes after you, chase him away, hold him down, or carry him around for a while. If he keeps trying after two or three 'chats', he needs to go! Unless you have many pullets, one cockrel is plenty. If both boys turn into jerks, they can both vanish. Mary

Cockrels will spar to establish 'who's on first', and that's normal.  HOWEVER, and boy who challenges you needs to go.  You should be walking 'through' your cockrels out there;  they should both avoid getting in your way at all times.  If one of them goes after you, chase him away, hold him down, or carry him around for a while.  If he keeps trying after two or three 'chats', he needs to go!  Unless you have many pullets, one cockrel is plenty.  If both boys turn into jerks, they can both vanish.  Mary
Thank you ! I'm going to try that

Back
Top Bottom