birdboy508

Songster
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
east taunton
tooooooo much home work.
cool.png

Quote:
As a student, my theory was that if they were a good teacher, I would have grasped the knowledge during class time, and wouldn't need the practice at home.

As a parent, my feelings may have changed, somewhat.
hide.gif

Your teacher must be a great one. Can you imagine how much she cares if she will spend her spare time marking your papers, entering grades into her gradebook, filling in your report card, etc? You know, I bet you grow up to be a teacher!
yippiechickie.gif

If the assignment truly teaches the lesson in an efficient way then it's good. But it's complete crapola to have a kindergarten student have to write 1 to 100 every week for 2/3 of the school year as a homework assignment when they do it in class during the day as well. Here's a few more of my favorites.... Search a word-what a complete very waste of time. Crossword puzzles-another huge waste of time as well. How about make a pinata for Spanish class which is supposed to be about teaching a foreign language (this included paper machet, painting and glueing 100's of peices of tissue paper). Oh and do it in groups after school. Any project that involves the parent more than the student like the CA mission project, build a pyramid (this had to contain several levels and secret chambers), the science fair (no winner did this project without major parent help building and making the display), diorama's etc. Many of these things are what I would call busy work. They are assignments that take 10 times longer to do than needed to learn the material and they cease to be fun when the whole night is sucked up doing them and leaving no time for family.

Language classes don't just teach you how to speak, they teach about the culture that the language came from. We had food days about once a month in my German class, and in order to have them we had to bring in all German foods and speak German the entire class period. We learned a lot about the different food customs, the types of food and got to practice our conversational skills with the language. If you don't learn about the culture, what good is knowing the language?

Word searches and Crosswords have purpose. One is to decipher words out of a mess of letters, the other is to connect the meaning of a word with the word itself. Deciphering words from a mess of letters takes mental acuity and problem solving skills, linking a word and it's definition takes memory skills. Both are skills that help educate and are useful as adults.

Large projects help students even if they do get help from a parent or adult. The science fair encourages kids to explore their world and teach themselves about how and why things happen. Building dioramas helps kids visualize instances in history or actions in science. At home projects that require family help don't take away from family time, it's a different way to spend time together.

People learn through repetition, especially in early life, so kindergarten through second grade classes repeat the lessons often to assure all the children learn and retain what is being taught. If you tell a 6 year old how to spell giraffe once and never have them practice spelling it, then come back a week later and ask them to spell giraffe, odds are they won't have a clue how to spell it. Some lessons don't require repeating, like touching a hot stove, others need repeating to get them to sink in, like how the alphabet goes.

Back
Top Bottom