Meat bird coop?

abbey2140

Songster
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
North Branch, MI
Just wondering if anyone has any designs for a coop for meat birds. I prefer something that isnt permanent since we only have them from May to August for 4H projects.

I really don't have a coop. My husband made cages using 1X2s and chicken wire. The cages are 2ft x 2ft x 8ft. They hold 15 chickens each. They are very light and easy to store for next year. I put a piece of particle board over the top with a rock on it to keep the wind from turning the cage over and to provide shade for the birds. I only keep mine for 10 weeks for each batch. I usually do 3 batches through the summer.

Lisa Foss
Marilla, NY

Thanks!! The PVC tractors even work great as 4H projects!
wee.gif

My husband showed me an easy to build A frame style coop that is moveable which he wants us to try for the guineas and araucanas and possibly for a meat breed. I wish I could figure how to post things like that, but really it is like a house roof......thats the whole coop, except the front has a door and the back end is closed off for weather protection. Half of it is covered in chicken wire. There are no side walls. Just rafters going up to the middle. It looks simple......just start a rectangle at ground level and erect the top somehow and build off of that with the rafters. I need to get started on it myself.

Quote:
Yeah, I can't say enough about mine. Granted, they are light, and have to be anchored in very strong winds, but they are SO easy to build and move, it's beyond worth it.

Back
Top Bottom